Model Cars Magazine Forum

76-77 LeMans Enforcer 0r Smokey & Bandit Sheriff Justice Car

DEL

Here's what I did:

The roof was actually from an Infiniti 4 door sedan.  I grafted it onto one of my 77 Can Am's and then stretched the doors to make the sedan.  The roof was similarly shaped and fit nicely.  I filled in the shaker hole and I had a pretty much ready made sedan.

77 lemans 4 door 3.jpg

Once again, thanks to all..  And to Paul, yes, I have every intention of this becoming my second offering after the 1991 CVPI I have posted over on the Resin board.

Greg Wann is going to be doing the 91, and after that, I will decide how to go.  BTW: this model goes together almost as a snap kit. once the bumpers slide into slots they are locked in place by the chassis/frame pan. No glue needed. Like the promos of the 75 Olds, there will be two small recessed screws at the rear that hold it all together. So little or NO use of special glues or superglues to assemble it. 

Happy holidays to all!  D.

• 1 month later...

Looking really good.

St Louis County PD used these as patrol cars and I drove one in the St Louis City PD Traffic Division. I remember it having a 400 ci engine with a weird air cleaner set up. The air cleaner had two horns onto which were attached hoses that for all the world looked like black dryer vent tubing. They ran to the grill and terminated into plastic square cone shaped fittings. All this channeled the air flow from either side of the mid headlights to the engine. Sounded like a F4 taking off when you punched it.

G

16 hours ago, Agent G said:

Sounded like a F4 taking off when you punched it.

Which of course was the objective!  Oh, and making sure the engine had a good source of fresh clean air too, I suppose. ;)  In my earliest driving days, my aunt had a 75 Buick Regal 4dr (one of the group of four GM A-body cars and mechanically just the same) but it only had a 350 2bbl.  But that car would just flat TEAR the tires off!!  You had to be careful leaving after a red light if you did it using a bit too much pedal they'd break loose and bark.  Of course my teenage self LOVED that car!  I can only imagine how it might have been with a by God 455 in it. Ahh the days of the big block.  I was at a car show looking into the engine bay of a 88 CV police car that had a 351 Windsor when I overheard a guy impressing his girlfriend with his automotive knowledge.  "That's a BIG BLOCK" he said.  A 351 Windsor.  I almost cried for various reasons.

Anyway, I've owned two Police LeMans Enforcers, one 4dr and one 2dr. The 4dr had the 455 and the 2dr had the 400.  Also had about four LeMans Can-Ams.   here is a pic of my 2dr Enforcer going away, and the best one of the four C/Ams I had.

My 76 Lemans Enforcer  2dr - 2010 (5).jpg

My 76 Lemans Enforcer  2dr - 2010 (9).jpg

My 76 Lemans Enforcer  2dr - 2010 (1).jpg

My 76 Lemans Enforcer  2dr - 2010 (3).jpg

77 Can Am 0- Texas.jpg

Edited by DEL

A friend of mine had a 73 Olds Cutlass Salon 4-Door with every option, but a sunroof. It had a 455, Turbo 400, and an anti-spin rear axle. He bought it used about in late 77 before the car was restyled in 78. That car was a monster, in that it would break the tires loose while it was rolling if it was nailed. The gas mileage was atrocious of course, and he gave the car up once the insurance company figured out what he had, and put a muscle car surcharge on it after a minor fender bender. We had fun while it lasted.

2 hours ago, Dennis Lacy said:

I would love to have one- because it could get me pretty close to building something I've always wanted to build....

I'll bite..  What?

Curiosity killed the cat.  (calm down kitties, in this case it'l be ME, not you. :P)

4 hours ago, DEL said:

I'll bite..  What?

Curiosity killed the cat.  (calm down kitties, in this case it'l be ME, not you. :P)

The 6000sux is a futuristic car from the original RoboCop movie. At one point there is a hostage situation and the negotiator offers the guy this car and the guy asks if it comes with cruise control, which are the lines I quoted. 

Just goofing around...

It's all right!  Sorry I didn't get your reference. 

I saw The original Robocop movies in the theater (dating myself) but all I remember is that Peter Weller played the character.

And I am amazed as time goes on how much he looks like a skeletal version of the Robocop.  Kinda chilling..

After the 1991 CVPI is in production and available, this one and the 73 Chevy Bel Air  are next on the list to be copied.  So, all goes well the LeMans should be available by march or April, perhaps.  Tag the thread, and thanks again for the good comments on the work so far.

Have a great weekend!  D

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2017 at 4:33 PM, DEL said:

I am slow.  Sadly, sickly slow.  I'm NOT proud of it. I just am.  the only good thing about that is by the time I'm finalizing the obvious stuff really sticks out to be addressed.  I guess those makerbots will put a stop to all this scratch building nonsense before much longer.  Still i do enjoy the proces even if I get tikked at myself for dragging..

You're also the one who took 10 years to do a PERFECT frame off restoration on a 78 LTD police car. If the Pontiac is as good as it was I can wait for awhile longer. 

Too bad Chicago didn't use Pontiacs. You could get rich selling them to a certain sergeant.