Model Cars Magazine Forum

76-77 LeMans Enforcer 0r Smokey & Bandit Sheriff Justice Car

DEL

• 3 weeks later...

Bud and Jeff, Thank you!!

Here are some pics of it with a new grille build, headlights and park lights installed.  Refined definition on the body panel 'fins'.  And a blue Vis-A-Bar with a certain Montague County Sheriff's markings.   Ahhh, I can hear the tires squealing and smell the rubber burning right about now.. :D

180325 - 77 LeMans Enf. - FINAL (9) LF.JPG

"What we dealin' with here, is a complete lack of respect fo 'de Law!"

180325 - 77 LeMans Enf. - FINAL (14) RR.JPG

"That crazy thing just tried to run up under my rig"

180325 - 77 LeMans Enf. - FINAL (26) REAR.JPG

180325 - 77 LeMans Enf. - FINAL (4) RF .JPG

Edited by DEL

A few more.  I forgot to picture but a 76 Grille has also been built to create either year version..

180325 - 77 LeMans Enf. - FINAL (4) RF .JPG

180325 - 77 LeMans Enf. - FINAL (16) RSD.JPG

180325 - 77 LeMans Enf. - FINAL (7) FRT.JPG

The perfect vehicle for "Tail-grabbin 'yo ass" :lol:

Edited by DEL

Outstanding work, DEL. Assuming Greg is going to cast this one as well, it looks like I'm going to go broke buying all of these new castings. Now if I can only persuade someone to create my "holy grail," the 1972 AMC Matador Enforcer (hint, hint).

72_LAPD.jpg

On 3/27/2018 at 12:39 PM, Kayma367 said:

Outstanding work, DEL. Assuming Greg is going to cast this one as well, it looks like I'm going to go broke buying all of these new castings. Now if I can only persuade someone to create my "holy grail," the 1972 AMC Matador Enforcer (hint, hint).

72_LAPD.jpg

Thanks John, and FYI:  It's on my list!!   All the AMC Police Matadors of 67-75 or so.  Particularly the LAPD & Adam-12 ones.  My family was AMC buyers before they went Buick in the early 70's so I have fond memories of Ambassadors and Ramblers when I was a kid growing up. The magnetic plastic Jesus on the dash. That funny clear plastic with the pebbled surface they put on the seats to protect the cloth. Wierd.

If I make it long enuff I intend to become the police/Mr. 4dr guy.  Let the styrene people make four different offerings of the one particular year's .. Mustang or whatever.   I'll get there..

Edited by DEL

On 3/26/2018 at 5:32 PM, martinfan5 said:

LrTUh05.jpg

Oh, and I saw this on the way out yesterday and it made me LOL for REAL.

I'm doing my best Mr. Martin!   I'm another 'waiter' now just like you... :-)

I'm with you DEL. My Dad was a local LEO in NJ, senior man on day shift who always somehow managed to get a new patrol car every year. While the family ride was pretty consistent, I fell in love with all of the hi-po 2- and 4-doors that graced our driveway. You keep crafting these beauties... I'll be ready with the cash when they come to market.

Thanks for the kind comments, John.  Keep an eye on my posts, as I've said, if I can hold out one way or the other you'll see every big 4dr offering from 1967 to 1995 or so and then some.  Not just police. Though being a LEO here in the south it's what made me lean away from battleships to cars.

I also have a 71 Buick Estate Wagon and some 75-78 Mercury Grand Marquis in mind as well. And, I wonder what the interest might be for a 2012-2016 Caprice PPV?  I notice no one has ever done one far as I can Google and find.  I think I even have  a donor kit in mind..

One of the final details, making a dual exhaust out of the original single exh. chassis/frame plate.  the part on the flat section from the engine & cats back to the 3rd member, pretty simple. Making it go down into that chasm and reappear on the back side of the rear end, AND make it look like a mirror image of the original Jo-Han version, took SOME doing I must say. Not a simple straightforward deal.  Still, it is almost complete. 

This and now some representation of the full wheel covers that appeared on the S&B LeMans and I really will be done with this one..  If anyone out there has any idea of a kit wheel or wheel cover anywhere near like the ones shown please let me know. I draw on the vast store of knowledge & experience that resides here.

180327 - 77 LeMans-  Dual exhaust added to chassis (1).JPG

S&B 77 LeMans hubcap.jpg

S&B 76-77 Pontiac LeMans, Bonneville Wheel Cover.jpg

On 12/21/2017 at 10:15 AM, DEL said:

I know it's not micrometer exact, but for a model in the works since 2011, and since I work for a parish, as the old saying goes, 'close enough for gov't work'. :P  I did not, however, have the exact side pic of the 4dr that you provided and I will use it to go back and check it to see if anything further can be done without wrecking it for another year.  I thank you ALL for your input and suggestions!

Here are two pics just for back and forth comparison's sakes. I modified the screen grab pic of the Alabama HP Enforcer to show where I think the B & A pillers are.

77 LeMans Alabama SP (mod).jpg

171219 -  RR (1) - Copy.JPG

I agree, I'm like you. It may not be micrometer perfect, but if the end result has the best look and feel of the prototype, then that's good for me.

I gather pics from online of all angles, then I plan what I'm going to use to recreate certain details. Then I will draw my cut lines in pencil on the body and check parts compatibility with a small ruler I have - all this BEFORE I ever even lay a knife to plastic.

I'll nit pik all the shapes and curves to get all the parts to look like the real car - from all angles. If any one of them doesn't match the pictures, then I have to modify it until it does. Sometimes that means recutting and recontouring parts over until they have the right proportions. I may have to take a break and put it away if I'm feeling overwhelmed, but I try to stop at a neutral point so I can continue it later on without having major design problems to fix. That's what usually kills a project for me, having to start back up on a project that still needs a major thought process to correct.

Looks like you're doing a great job to me. It has that look and feel of the real car! Maybe double check the rear window from another picture just to be sure.

Keep going!

Shaun, Patrick & Dan: Thank you!!

As to that rear slope of the C pillars, it was an absolute BEAR to get it as close as it shows in the pics above.. but even I must admit the angle appears just a bit too sloped still.  I have pics of this car dead on from the side and on those, it looks almost dead accurate, still I did do a small bit of modifying it based on the first good comments in that area by Mr. Ron Hamilton re that c-pillar issue. He has an exceptional eye for angle and perspective.  So I may yet notch it one more time and make it stand up just a tad bit straighter yet.

On another subject, some folks earlier on in this thread were discussing the possibility of grafting some other kit roof onto a late 70s Nova kit to create the 4dr police version..  Well, it's mostly done.  I have posted pics in a separate thread on this forum to show where I am thus far.  Have a look at it and see what you think.  Thanks to all for the interest!

Edited by DEL

I have 2 ideas for a basis to start your hubcaps, but both still require more work to complete. 

If I recall, the custom wheels in the old 65 Bonneville have a similar shape. But you'll still have to figure out how to recreate the million holes that they have.

Another idea I have, and it's still a longshot, is to check old clothing and fabric stores for buttons that look like hubcaps. Don't worry about colors, you'll probably have to paint them anyway. I know, it's still a "needle in a haystack" but you may get lucky and find something close. Wally Mart, Michael's, Joann's fabrics and Hobby Lobby all have sewing departments with packs of buttons for sale.

Then again, if you have access to a lathe and aluminum rod, you could try to mill your own.

It's not much, but I hope this helps. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/29/2018 at 5:29 PM, DEL said:

Thanks for the kind comments, John.  Keep an eye on my posts, as I've said, if I can hold out one way or the other you'll see every big 4dr offering from 1967 to 1995 or so and then some.  Not just police. Though being a LEO here in the south it's what made me lean away from battleships to cars.

I also have a 71 Buick Estate Wagon and some 75-78 Mercury Grand Marquis in mind as well. And, I wonder what the interest might be for a 2012-2016 Caprice PPV?  I notice no one has ever done one far as I can Google and find.  I think I even have  a donor kit in mind..

I would buy a 12-16 Caprice PPV!! I currently drive an 08 Pontiac G8 GT, next best thing to a V-8 Caprice or Chevy SS!!

On 4/4/2018 at 3:25 PM, DEL said:

If anyone out there has any idea of a kit wheel or wheel cover anywhere near like the ones shown please let me know.

My best guess so far would be to take a Lincoln Futura wheelcover, smooth down the center so it isn't "stepped" and blends into the base, and then fit it into a rim so the angled edge can be cut. Then you'll need a drill press with three sizes of fine bits...

• 1 month later...

I have one of those 75 Torino kits, I haven't opened it yet but as I recall in the illustration it does seem to look kind of like it. I will look into that I also have a Futura put away AND I'm going to look into those buttons as well I appreciate all the suggestions and pointers.  thanks guys!