Model Cars Magazine Forum

57 chevy 150

bauercrew

Thanks guys ,i thought the color might not be flashy enought (l.o.l)I  put the tires on my lathe and put a brush in one of the tool holders and turn dial on cross slide until i got a little paint going,thats how i do all my tires now ,no more decals (l.o.l)  snake  no idont use primmer when i use those craft paints all i do is shot light coats then use hair dryer and repeat process  until i get the desired color depth ,hair dryer works great and quick cause water base paint,i posted a while back the products that i use to thin the paint,i use a product called golden medium ,air brush medium and sometimes use liquitex flow aid,both products somewhat pricey but a little goes a long way ,plus it worth not having to deal with the fumes of the other reducers

I had the same idea. I am a fan of the craft paints as well, and I have a couple of "yuk" greys I was thinking about:-) two-toning something. Maybe that 55 Chevy sitting on the shelf.

Edited by Igor

Thanks guys ,i thought the color might not be flashy enought (l.o.l)I  put the tires on my lathe and put a brush in one of the tool holders and turn dial on cross slide until i got a little paint going,thats how i do all my tires now ,no more decals (l.o.l)  snake  no idont use primmer when i use those craft paints all i do is shot light coats then use hair dryer and repeat process  until i get the desired color depth ,hair dryer works great and quick cause water base paint,i posted a while back the products that i use to thin the paint,i use a product called golden medium ,air brush medium and sometimes use liquitex flow aid,both products somewhat pricey but a little goes a long way ,plus it worth not having to deal with the fumes of the other reducers

Thanks for the details. Could you be talked into a full-on, illustrated tutorial for the Tips section? Please?

Hey Snake ,i do it almost pretty much the way chris chapman does it, he has a great vid on you tube,the only thing different is i use the mentioned air brush mediums ,he uses water i believe,thats why i didnt do one,yes just follow his directions ,you have to play with mixture ratios JUST a tad bit,same with air pressure ,think he says he shoots at 20lbs,i have to shoot at 30lbs with my paashe h

It wasn't until I got to the engine photo that I realized the pictures where not black and white. I like your color idea and it is more like what you would have seen at the time. Last year I built this same model but with the colors reversed, The body was TS-42 Light Gun Metal and the top and trunk with TS-38 Gun Metal. The interior I went with a bright red Bel Air style.  Are you going to use the roll bars or stay a more basic build ??  

• 2 weeks later...

perfect color choice for this kit... I also want to warn everyone about the newly re-released (new box art) 57 chevy black widow (number 47 on the door). There was a mix up at the factory and alot of those kits got the wrong bodies. They have recalled them but I was told that alot didn't get returned so just bare in mind that this kit could have the 57 chevy 2 door sedan belair body. I'd look for the original box art (number 64) or if you buy online make sure it's opened and there a picture of the contents. ie: 150 body...