Model Cars Magazine Forum

1981 Kenworth K100

So I have decided to start yet another K100 build. This is the first time I have built a Revell K100. I must say, this is a very detailed kit! Since I can't build anything straight out of the box, this build is getting a lot of modifications. I started by shortening the cab to an 86" version. I also shortened the frame. The frame was a bit of a challenge, because I had to take 22 scale inches out of the frame ahead of the rear cab mount to keep everything lined up with the shorter cab, but I didn't want the wheelbase to be that short. So after shortening it 22 scale inches, I added 4 scale inches back to it right in front of the rear suspension. I also added a set of dayton wheels.

Next it was time to lay a little paint. There is still some touch-up necessary, but the idea is there.

I used a set of AMT fuel tanks, tank mounts, and quarter fenders. I sanded all of the detail off of the quarter fenders and added my own using styrene tube and brass rod.

I sanded the raised detail off of the AMT fuel tanks and added new straps. The 8" intake pipe is styrene tube with a 3D printed top on it. The exhaust is styrene tubing with a resin cast "rain cap" on top. I used perforated brass sheet painted with a molotow chrome pen for the heat shield.

Going to take a serious tow truck to get those out.  It is pool season again, though!

Haha, yeah they are in there for sure! He is digging a few of these old ones out this week to get rid of them, so I wanted to take pictures of all of them before they are gone.

Well, I seem to have hit a snag. I cleared the cab tonight and I am not liking the way it is looking. Not sure what happened, but it just doesn't look right now. I think I am going to have to strip the paint off and start over. I felt like I was getting close to the light at the end of the tunnel, but now it is a going to be a bit more work.

• 2 years later...

After 2 years, I am back to working on this one. I had initially painted the cab with Tamiya rattle can, but when I clear coated it, the paint turned funky, so the whole thing got stripped. This was when I lost interest and set it on a shelf. Recently I got a bug to work on it again, so I mixed up some Tamiya paints from the small jars and sprayed it through my airbrush. The result was much better.

This kit has the best chassis of any K100 kit out there, but the cab is terrible. I have never had such a hard time getting a cab together. The door hinges are poorly designed and difficult to work with. The headlights are too large and look out of scale, but it is too late at this point. New pics will be coming shortly.