Model Cars Magazine Forum

'66 Chevelle Drag'n Wagon

grant_3250

Hi All,

Revell 66 Chevelle Station Wagon with a twist. The car has a blown Hemi (from the Hippie Hemi kit) with some detailing including battery wiring and braided radiator hose. The rear drag slicks are also from the Hippie Hemi. This has been a project that has been 'nearly finished' for quite some time so i'm happy to say it is now complete.

Constructive criticism is welcome. Keen to hear what you think. Cheers

IMGP7645-01.jpg

IMGP7653-02.jpg

IMGP7658-03.jpg

IMGP7640-04.jpg

IMGP7651-05.jpg

IMGP7648-06.jpg

Great looking Drag Car. I would consider doing something with the window trim. Some would just paint it black because of the type of build. Or you could foil or paint the window moldings . I this would make the dark color stand out better also. The "black wash" on the grill and tail gate moldings would also give a little more depth to those parts. I like the Blown Hemi engine idea.  

Wow that's a lotta motor in that wagon, and I like it. I myself would have put the battery in the back behind the right wheel well for better weight distribution. I know guys with 1:1 street cars that get the weight of the battery (45-60 lbs) out of the engine compartment and put it in the trunk. Not only will the car "launch" better, it should handle better in the turns without all that weight up front. Nice build on that wagon.

Cheers Espo,

I've not been able to paint window moldings with great success but i know the other modellers here nail it. I'll keep practising.

One thing you might try on the trim if you're not already doing it.  I would use a #11 blade and outline the moldings just like you were cutting foil. Use a very fine brush with what ever color paint you're going to use, and let a little paint at a time from the brush sort of flow on the moldings. The "cut" from the blade forms a stop for the paint to stay off body panels.   

Thanks Geno. I'll look into how to black wash. If anyone has a good link to a tutorial could they post it to this thread. Cheers

Some people like "The Detailer" but it's really ink and the black gives off a purple tint once done.

I use Tamiya flat black acrylic for black wash and door lines.  I paint the grille black with it. Let it nearly dry, then using a Q-Tip (cotton swap on a stick for ear cleaning) damp with water,  I wipe off the high points.   

For the door and panel lines, I thin a tooth pick and paint in the lines. Again if it strays a bit onto your paint, it's acrylic.. just wipe it off with a damp cloth.

IMG 2130

Grille and Chevrolet were done this way (yes the hood is supposed to be bent)

IMG_2378.JPG

Panel Lines 

Yup - like the Gas Monkey Garage '71 Chevrolet Kingswood Custom Station Wagon.

Ken....Oh yeah..! that would be cool to see in a kit...Id buy one or ? of them.  I have a few to try and make if possible of ones the family had owned over the years...not going to be easy...some of the needed donor cars are a bit rare now.