Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Impala SS "Baldwin Motion"

Southern Fried

Yeah, I know, Baldwin Motion never did a '67 Impala.

However, as a kid in the late '60's - early '70's I was captured by the Baldwin Motion ads in my Dads Hot Rod Magazines. Then, in 1974 I purchased  my Uncles '67 SS. It was a small block, Powerglide version.  First thing I did was to it was headers and a set of used Torque Thrust with Uniroyal Tiger Paws. When AMT came out with this new tooled kit in 1997 I was blown away. The box art car was EXACTLY the same as my SS. Same color. Same interior. LESS the 427 and hood. I went out and bought 4. Thus started the longest build in modeling history!

I mocked up the 427, with a slightly "used" look, and a parts box intake and Holley in 1998. The hood was built in 2000. Then, other things got in the way. Several moves for my job, where the Impala became lost  in the packing. Then I started building 1/48 aircraft and selling them on Ebay, and eventually building solely for clients.

Found the Impala again in 2005 .Did the suspension. Then back into a coma it went. Found it AGAIN several years ago and "rattle canned" the paint. Then in 2016  I built the interior, and gathered up parts to finish it the way I dreamed a Baldwin Motion would have looked. Wheels from the Revell '62 Corvette gasser. Tri carbs from and old 'vette kit, and the EXCELLENT  M.T .tires from Joseph Osborns "Fireball Modelworks".

I am slowly working toward FINISHING this thing. If the paint doesn't polish out I have another body.  I won't cop out on the painting this time. I'll airbrush. Haven't figured out the graphics yet. And, there will be NO cheesy side pipes. 

Critique welcome.

104_0625.JPG

104_0626.JPG

104_0627.JPG

104_0630.JPG

104_0632.JPG

104_0634.JPG

Yeah, I know, Baldwin Motion never did a '67 Impala.

Oh, I'm sure they did '67 Impalas, they just weren't marketing them as a special deal yet in 1967.  But I'll bet if you drove a '67 Impala with a glovebox full of $100 bills into Baldwin-Motion in 1968 or 1969 or 1970 and said, "Phase III this thing up!" they'd have been happy to accommodate you. I'm going to be building a '67 Camaro on that premise hopefully in the near future.

Remember, the B-Ms were custom cars. If you could think of it and pay for it, you could have it. So, drive on! B)

Oh, I'm sure they did '67 Impalas, they just weren't marketing them as a special deal yet in 1967.  But I'll bet if you drove a '67 Impala with a glovebox full of $100 bills into Baldwin-Motion in 1968 or 1969 or 1970 and said, "Phase III this thing up!" they'd have been happy to accommodate you. I'm going to be building a '67 Camaro on that premise hopefully in the near future.

Remember, the B-Ms were custom cars. If you could think of it and pay for it, you could have it. So, drive on! B)

Yeah, that was my thinking. $$$$ = "Whatever BM you wanted".