Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's next from Moebius - How about a 70 F-100 4x4 and a 65-66 F-100

SteveG

I'm willing to bet that your not alone. There was a time when this forum was over flowing with big rig builders, guys that built only trucks. Merging the 2 categories pushed the rig builders away and opened the door for car guys to show that they could build trucks as well. What really allowed the car guys to jump into the big rig segment was Revell re-issuing the Monogram snap Peterbilt and Kenworth kits. The price was reasonable, around $25 in most cases, and the detail was better than average for a snap kit so it was a win win for everybody except the big rig guys. However, they are what they are, snap kits, plain and simple. I also believe that Moebius ultimately paid the price for the Revell's snappers. The Lonestar and Prostar MSRP was too much for car guys to spend. The big rig guys never had a problem with a $60 MSRP for a new tool offering, we were already paying more than that for Italeri kits anyway, at least I was/am.

The Lonestar attracted pick up and car builders to the big rig genre.  It looked like an old IH pick up and it looked like a 1930s vehicle.  Car builders seem to be stuck on pre-1970 vehicle design.  Basically, if it doesn't fit in to their race car motif, as a backdrop or has a pseudo, hot rod facsimile, they really aren't interested in big trucks.  And also, at least one model car builder stated on the forum that the amount of parts was too complicated.  

Yes, commercial vehicles are expensive and complicated compared to cars and pick ups  And yes they are more expensive and time consuming to bring to market, but no more complicated than military subjects.

Wow. So having a single "Truck Kit News & Reviews" section is a problem. As I type this, there are a total of 12 threads in this truck news section that have had action in November. I think maybe if people have trouble wading through a forum with that kind of massive activity, there are bigger issues in their lives.

/sarcasm

I'm a car guy that was converted to big rigs, mainly because of both the Moebius Prostar and the euro rigs. And I don't have an issue with higher kit prices, because the kits typically have more plastic and more parts in them. Of course they should be a little more money! 

Anthony, Chuck, why don't you two bring your concerns to a moderator and see if you can get any traction on the subject. I tried several times with no luck. Maybe you will fair better.

Believe me, we don't like putting our "pickup junk" down here in the basement any more than you like having it here. and yes, I've had build threads and finished models moved into this section after the words "pickups and vans" was added to the titles.

Wow. So having a single "Truck Kit News & Reviews" section is a problem. As I type this, there are a total of 12 threads in this truck news section that have had action in November. I think maybe if people have trouble wading through a forum with that kind of massive activity, there are bigger issues in their lives.

I wasn't actually referring to just the "News & Reviews" section, but all the truck sections. And it's not that I have trouble finding the big rig stuff, I just find it time-consuming and, to be honest, unnecessary when the big rig topics and pickup/SUV/van topics could be separated. No one is bashing either category, and there's no need to. This isn't "big rig builders against pickup builders", or vice-versa. It's about what makes it easiest for both to enjoy and share their hobby with others who have the same interests. I can only speak for myself and all I'm saying is that I'm more likely to spend time here if I can easily access the content that interests me. If this forum were made more user-friendly for truck people, whether the trucks have 18 wheels or 4, that would attract more visitors and possibly more builders into the hobby for both categories. In a hobby where most of our subject matter is from 40 years ago (big rigs) I think everything feasible should be done to encourage visibility. :)

Edited by Mike77

Believe me, we don't like putting our "pickup junk" down here in the basement any more than you like having it here. and yes, I've had build threads and finished models moved into this section after the words "pickups and vans" was added to the titles.

Basement??

Hardly..... seems to me it's a logically laid out place for the truck fans, like me and others, to come and look at and enjoy the latest builds and ideas. The car guys know where they need to go if they're interested, with clearly delineated separate 'under glass' and 'workbench' sections for big and little trucks.  Or is a separate showcase for 'cancon and friends' builds needed, maybe right up under the regular 'under glass' area? How about it, mods?   ^_^

Basement??

Hardly..... seems to me it's a logically laid out place for the truck fans, like me and others, to come and look at and enjoy the latest builds and ideas. The car guys know where they need to go if they're interested, with clearly delineated separate 'under glass' and 'workbench' sections for big and little trucks.  Or is a separate showcase for 'cancon and friends' builds needed, maybe right up under the regular 'under glass' area? How about it, mods?   ^_^

Joke's on you Mike, I don't have any friends here. They all packed up and left years ago.

You can insult me all you want, I don't give a flying

I was pointing out to Anthony and Chuck that the majority of pickup builders did not want to be put into the "commercial" class as they did not build "commercial" vehicles and it was brought up with the mods several times .  Simple as that. 

And yes, some of them did express concern that thier builds would not be seen down here at the bottom of the page ,,"basement" ,as it was referred to by several people at the time.  I don't know, maybe you wern't here when that was all happening as you only joined 5 years ago.

In the meantime, here's a couple of my "junk light duty trucks" as Matthew puts it to look at. 

If you want to see any of my cars,, well ,, you know where to go too. ;)

steve's pics 398

IMG 0908

152 5284

IMG 2075

IMG 1799

The explanation I was given at the time of the merge was "to help facilitate the moderation of the forum", I don't see where that judgement has changed.

You never know, dosen't hurt to ask and let them know how you feel on the subject. I'm all asked out.

I'm willing to bet that your not alone. There was a time when this forum was over flowing with big rig builders, guys that built only trucks. Merging the 2 categories pushed the rig builders away and opened the door for car guys to show that they could build trucks as well. What really allowed the car guys to jump into the big rig segment was Revell re-issuing the Monogram snap Peterbilt and Kenworth kits. The price was reasonable, around $25 in most cases, and the detail was better than average for a snap kit so it was a win win for everybody except the big rig guys. However, they are what they are, snap kits, plain and simple. I also believe that Moebius ultimately paid the price for the Revell's snappers. The Lonestar and Prostar MSRP was too much for car guys to spend. The big rig guys never had a problem with a $60 MSRP for a new tool offering, we were already paying more than that for Italeri kits anyway, at least I was/am.

What a load of bollocks.  Why push this false dichotomy that there have to be "car guys" and "big rig guys" and never the twain shall meet?  I like both and I know plenty of others who also build a variety of subjects.  90% of what's posted in the car section doesn't interest me, but I just scroll past it.

Edited by dodgefever

What a load of bollocks.  Why push this false dichotomy that there have to be "car guys" and "big rig guys" and never the twain shall meet?  I like both and I know plenty of others who also build a variety of subjects.  Your assertion that the Moebius kits were too complicated and expensive for "car guys" is particularly laughable.  I haven't bougnt one because I have zero interest in modern trucks.  I'd happily pay that for a Mack B series, but that's never going to happen, so I'll stick to AMT kits and aftermarket resin.

Where did I assert that, as you put it, Moebius kits were too complicated for car guys? I never said that, too expensive for cars guys I did say, but never too complicated. My point was Moebius would have sold more rigs had it not been for the Revell snappers. As far as AMT re-issues are concerned more power to you. I built more than my share of them 40 years ago when the were new and have no need or desire to build any of them now. They sucked 40 years ago and still suck today.

As mentioned in my earlier post, if you plan on a 4x4 conversion of the Moebius 65-66, the '70 F 100 4x4 chassis is very similar to the '66  F 100 4x4 chassis  and uses the same styleside box as the 2wd version, however  a '65 F 100 4x4 is a whole different animal, used entirely different frame and the older styleside box shown below. ( F250 4x4 shown ) Of course, there was always the flareside box as well.

IMG_5354.JPG

Edited by leafsprings

Steve.....those are some way sharp model pickups.   And that '70 Impala-Camino is one of the nicest car pickup conversions I've ever seen.  Great attention to detail including the use of a wagon-based tailgate (just like the real car would have had, if it had been made).   Thanks for posting these images.....TIM  

Sorry for the delay,  I finally went through all the photos I took in Detroit.  So here's the photos from the Moebius display.  Keep in mind that these are rough 3D prints.   After some changes are made test shot's will be next.  We might see those early next year.   My built up 70 F-100 4x4 sits  below the Grim Reaper art work.  Maybe not the best placement in hindsight .....

2v2uqgfAMxvL75L.jpg

2v2uqgfCqxvL75L.jpg

2v2uqgfyqxvL75L.jpg

2v2uqgf8gxvL75L.jpg

So far I've seen three bed styles,  two trim levels and wheel bases.  I expect there will be a 4x4 too.  

-Steve

Those mags look really good. From what I've seen, though,  it looks like the Ford 6 lug wheels were limited to the sixties F350s with 20" wheels. So far, searching the net has revealed only five and eight lug 65/66 4x4s. Be interesting to see where the mock-up info came from; maybe someone's got mixed up with chevy info or it's another fantasy exercise like the F250 hubcaps. Never say never ^_^

mike

Edited by mk11

• 2 weeks later...

For what it's worth, heavy truck lines shared cabs with their pickup siblings.

I've always been fascinated by the '60s Ford N-Series, so pickup kits do offer some truck kitbashing potential.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside-classics-american/storage-yard-classic-1963-65-ford-n-series-super-duty/

Would make a cool car hauler

fdde1c552da730695974f4b9376825e3.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/96/90/f5/9690f5b0868d89d0886e7f82b990b0c5--semi-trucks-ford-trucks.jpg

Very true, older heavier medium duty Ford trucks, as well as Dodge and GM trucks, used pickup cabs to reduce production costs. Usually its just the front end that's different. Some are covered in resin, but there many more that have never been covered, or once were covered and no longer available. I think this class of truck will only gain in popularity as old school  truck modelers reject modern  fiberglass and aerodynamic wonders.