Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's next from Moebius - How about a 70 F-100 4x4 and a 65-66 F-100

SteveG

20 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

The Revell '65 fastback and convertible get reissued frequently.   The AMT '67 fastback is quite good and was reissued a few years ago.  

yes, but they are re-issued of lower quality kits. on the 65 revell/monogram, the bumpers have so much flash that when you clean it up you effectively need to re-chrome. there are horrible mold lines on the fastback kit that needs serious sanding to clean up and look right. there is a small hole after you mount the roof vent thing on one side that needs to be filled. there is a small divot (spelling) on the rear quarter of the fastback. the interior is nothing to write home about either. the door panels have little to no detail on them. 

the amt hardtops. i dont even have the time to write about what is wrong with them. 

for the amt 67, i remember that one being ok, but the bumpers needed some serious fitsing to get it perfect or it would be gapped/too big. 

i know that no kit is perfect, but we are dealing with 30 to 40+ year old molds with low detail when new technology is available. i know the hobby is small and shrinking, but i know i am tired of getting sub-quality stuff repackaged every few years. my nephew is a teenager now wanted to try modeling because he saw my old stash at my mother's house, and he picked a kit that was garbage. he didnt finish it because it was so bad. they cant get new people into the hobby with stuff that doesnt go together properly. we put up with it because we love it. he doesnt love it yet and wont put up with it. 

if you bought a new toaster and it didnt quite work right, would you spend 2 hours fitsing with it or would you return it and get a different one. its kind of the same thing

i only build kits of cars i really like, and the 65 mustang fastback is my favorite car. i have built it so many times, that it is to the point that i am tired of fixing the same old slop over and over again and would like to build one that looks proper. 

if you build a tamiya kit from the 90's you get a kit that fits perfectly together, requires little to no maintenance as far as flash and practically you can shake the box and the kit comes out a show winner, how come revell/monogram and AMT cant do this 30 year later

Its nice to see a company from moebius come out and give us better quality kits and actually care and listen to the community. this is a company i would like to support. 

i am sorry to sound like a grump on this. amt revell raise the prices of these kits to double, triple or higher and give us the same stuff over and over, many times not even changing the decals or anything at all. we deserve better

Edited by youpey

FWIW : When the Monogram 1965-1966 Mustang kits were released in c.1985 , they were leaps and bounds above practically every offering that preceded them , especially the toy-like kits that Monogram produced throughout the 70's and early 80's .

Yes , they are long in the tooth some thirty-plus years later ; but back in the mid-late 80's , they were king ! Same thing applies to the Monogram 1964 GTO --- spectacular for their time .

Truthfully , I haven't built any of the aforementioned kits in over 25 years , so I can't attest to the moulds' conditions these days .

13 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

I'm working up a set of final test shots for the '65 Flareside w/6cyl as we speak.  My best guess is that this one should be available very early in '19.

Did they fix the straight six at all? The bottom of the block being angled is very incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm kind of late to the game I think, but here's the almost-finished 4x4 with my own lift mods and aftermarket tires. I'm updating the ugly step bumper and I sure wish they would correct the fit of the top of the windshield. None of the kits I have fit right. The exhaust doesn't fit worth a darn either. The next one will have dual exhaust.

It's not a good picture but you'll get the idea. 

20180927_225344.jpg

8 hours ago, gui_tarzan said:

I'm kind of late to the game I think, but here's the almost-finished 4x4 with my own lift mods and aftermarket tires. I'm updating the ugly step bumper and I sure wish they would correct the fit of the top of the windshield. None of the kits I have fit right. The exhaust doesn't fit worth a darn either. The next one will have dual exhaust.

It's not a good picture but you'll get the idea. 

20180927_225344.jpg

Nice work Jim! 

• 4 weeks later...

That is a really nice set of parts from Fireball. I'm still looking forward to seeing someone make a serious attempt to accurize the topside to justify the time spent on the foundation   :P 

mike

Edited by mk11

11 minutes ago, Mercuryman54 said:

Looked on Fireball site. Would like to see the tread pattern on the tires for the F-250 conversion.. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

Dennis

I want to say an earlier shot showed a mud tread, but can't seem to find it. Drop him a note, maybe he will post them up as a separate item for sale at some point.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, dustym said:

I tried to order last week. He is backed up and cant take anymore orders till after the first of the year. bummed, but totally understand. Amazing product that we all want.

Not surprised. I placed my order within a couple of hours of him posting this on his website and he told me it was going to be three weeks minimum before he was going to ship. Good thing is he communicates with his customers and his product never disappoints.

2 hours ago, Bucky said:

Has anybody in the aftermarket mentioned making any Mercury conversion parts for the '65-'66 Ford pickup?

Not that I have any talent to make a Mercury conversion, but it really would just be rebadging, correct?