Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's next from Moebius - How about a 70 F-100 4x4 and a 65-66 F-100

SteveG

Very true! Do your research. F 100 are very different than F 250's, especially if you plan to convert the new '66  using the new 70 4x4 as a donor. A '66 F 100 4x4 conversion will be a simple frame swap ( very slight wheelbase shortening for longbed.) However the building of a '66 F 250 4x4 or '65 F 250 4x4 or '65 F 100 4x4 will require several modifications. These models came  with a flareside or older style 57-'60 styleside bed on a  120" wheelbase ( 2WD '65 '66 8' beds rode on a 129" wheelbases) not to mention the older high floor  cab.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure do, here's a quick mock up photo ..... Not sure of the release date yet.  

704x401-vi.jpg

And some of the new parts.  Keep in mind that some of these parts being shown are intended for other versions other then this one.  These are test shot parts and not necessarily the final version.

52515374372507-vi.jpg

10515374450779-vi.jpg

The trees in the lower picture are all new parts including the frame .....   As I make progress I'll post more photos.

Steve

These pictures were from 2 months ago, any chance you have completed it Steve? Would love to see this one in finished form!

Also hoping someone sees fit to create a lift kit and/or 3/4 or 1 ton conversion to make a heavy duty version of this great kit!

These pictures were from 2 months ago, any chance you have completed it Steve? Would love to see this one in finished form!

Also hoping someone sees fit to create a lift kit and/or 3/4 or 1 ton conversion to make a heavy duty version of this great kit!

It's getting close to being finished,  I do plan to post a few build up photos when I get the chance.  

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I'm always ready for another 4x4. Seems to have been a lack of them over the years, with 4x2s prevailing even in modern tool pickups. As others have stated, trying to make an F-250 4x4 out of these won't be impossible, but it's not simply a matter of tossing on some 8 lug wheels. The only thing an F-250 shared with it's 1/2 ton counterparts (if we're sticking to the '67-'72 trucks) is sheet metal and engine options. F-100s used a 5-lug Dana 44 front axle, Ford 9" rear, and I'm not sure but may have been available with an automatic transmission. F-250s were a Dana 44 HD front (in a couple variations up though the '70s) and a Dana 60 rear. I've been told that F-250 4x4s were manual trans only up until the debut of the new '73 trucks but have never confirmed that. Just to add more to the confusion, the F-350 wasn't available as a 4x4 until 1979. Aftermarket conversions were around, but I've only seen one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on release of the bumpside 4x4's? 

Yes,  I'm finishing up the box art build up as write this, should have photos up this weekend.  The instructions are being completed and Dave says he just got a test shot of the last few additional parts required for this version.

-Steve

I'm always ready for another 4x4. Seems to have been a lack of them over the years, with 4x2s prevailing even in modern tool pickups. As others have stated, trying to make an F-250 4x4 out of these won't be impossible, but it's not simply a matter of tossing on some 8 lug wheels. The only thing an F-250 shared with it's 1/2 ton counterparts (if we're sticking to the '67-'72 trucks) is sheet metal and engine options. F-100s used a 5-lug Dana 44 front axle, Ford 9" rear, and I'm not sure but may have been available with an automatic transmission. F-250s were a Dana 44 HD front (in a couple variations up though the '70s) and a Dana 60 rear. I've been told that F-250 4x4s were manual trans only up until the debut of the new '73 trucks but have never confirmed that. Just to add more to the confusion, the F-350 wasn't available as a 4x4 until 1979. Aftermarket conversions were around, but I've only seen one. 

No Automatic Transmissions were used on 67-72 F-100 4x4's   Powertrain choices were either the standard 240 six or optional 360 V8 both with a 4 on the floor. The F-250 got the 300 six as standard.  The kit will have the V8.

If you want to build an 67- 72 F-250 4x4 you can use the suspension parts from the AMT 78 F-350 4x4 kit.  Those parts are practically a drop in fit I've been told.

-Steve

Edited by SteveG

The front diff and springs in the amt F350 kit are the F100 style parts, Steve. The F250/F350 used leaf springs in front. The Dana 60 in the rear will work for an F250. It will also be accurate for an F100 as the dana 60 housing also came with the 9" Ford style axles. That's the style used in the hemi mopars.

mike

The front diff and springs in the amt F350 kit are the F100 style parts, Steve. The F250/F350 used leaf springs in front. The Dana 60 in the rear will work for an F250. It will also be accurate for an F100 as the dana 60 housing also came with the 9" Ford style axles. That's the style used in the hemi mopars.

mike

Good to know, thanks Mike !!

mike

This is correct, we are getting an authentic F 100 4x4 chassis. An authentic F 250 4x4 chassis will require some reworking like you mentioned. About the F 350 kit, AMT just slapped the  old Bronco's kit 4x4  componets to the  Super Camper Special extra long wheelbase Ford pickup. The result was a product that never existed in real life.

Edited by leafsprings

• 2 weeks later...

Looking good. I noticed that the transmission has the linkage molded to the side of it. Shouldn't this be a truck trans with the top shifter?

That's a good question Brad, your probably right but I don't know for sure.  What's in the kit is same trans the comes with 6 cylinder version that would probably represent a three speed column shift.  However once it's built you can see very little of the transmission.   I also probably should have painted the trans case a cast iron color too.   

2v2ucjii5xvL75L.jpg

Any word on the 66 yet?

I spent several hours yesterday (Saturday the 9th) helping to review the first tooling mockups of the '65-66 F-100's.  Once the little niggles are corrected (there are always those with first generation tooling mockups), they will be pretty cool indeed!  Lots of features there, numerous variants--so hang on folks!

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

I spent several hours yesterday (Saturday the 9th) helping to review the first tooling mockups of the '65-66 F-100's.  Once the little niggles are corrected (there are always those with first generation tooling mockups), they will be pretty cool indeed!  Lots of features there, numerous variants--so hang on folks!

Art

I sure hope your teaser line "Lots of features there, numerous variants" translates into drivetrain, body style and maybe even 2wd/4wd chassis options.

I sure hope your teaser line "Lots of features there, numerous variants" translates into drivetrain, body style and maybe even 2wd/4wd chassis options.

Drivetrain and chassis should more or less be carry overs from the other F-Series kits as they all used the same components. The differences would be in interior and exterior.

Drivetrain and chassis should more or less be carry overs from the other F-Series kits as they all used the same components. The differences would be in interior and exterior.

The center crossmember of the chassis is farther forward on the '65-66. right below the rear of the cab.  The transmissions have a much shorter tailshaft, with the driveshafts of both wheelbases being markedly longer (the long wheelbase--8' bed) has a "pillow block bearing" underneath the center crossmember, to support the 2-piece driveshaft.

Art

The center crossmember of the chassis is farther forward on the '65-66. right below the rear of the cab.  The transmissions have a much shorter tailshaft, with the driveshafts of both wheelbases being markedly longer (the long wheelbase--8' bed) has a "pillow block bearing" underneath the center crossmember, to support the 2-piece driveshaft.

Art

Alright so that's 6-10 new parts out of a completed chassis/powertrain assembly of close to 40? I'm glad that the specific differences will be addressed, but considering 95% is carried over I think that's still functionally "more or less carry overs".