Model Cars Magazine Forum

Don Garlits supercharger color?

Hello, I'm in the middle on building Don Garlits Swamp Ray XXX and looks like the supercharger is a dull gold or copper color, What color should I use to get that affect? Also how do you get the decals to stick on the tires and get them to look right, can you dullcoat then, Thanks Rick

Magnesium parts are often finished with a coating called "Dow 7", which is probably what's on the blower in question. There's a thread on here somewhere about various ways to get the effect...though Dragline's suggestion is probably as good as any of them...and it's not always exactly the same color.

Image result for dow 7       Image result for dow 7      Image result for dow 7

Tinkering with custom mixes of Testors "metalizers" looks like it could produce very good results too.

Image result for testors metalizers

Much of the color depends on the make up of the magnesium itself I think. Alodine is uses on mag also and even "pickleing". The Dow7 coating we used (had magnesium trans cases dipped) came out a greenish hue that turned greyish with age. You should see a mag part polished abd then dow7'd! Stuff looks cool. Almost like a dark greyish candy green!

Regarding the tires, decals do best over a glossy base.  I've had the best success sanding the tread for a used look, using testors glosscote on the sidewalls, decaling and the. Testers dullcoat over the whole tire. I've used Future on the sidewalls and dullcoted over that too.  

Back in the day, see avatar, the Halibrand magnesium wheels for the altered came new in a gold color. We sanded and polished the rear wheels and just the outer ring of the front wheels. As time went on you had polish the wheel weekly to keep their shine and the gold color / coating stayed the same.