Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rapid Transit System " paint code cuda "

dragmodels44

hey guys, this is one I've been wanting to do for a long time. After considerable research I have enough info to start it. The paint job will be the most challenging. The car was only a brochure car advertising all the hi impact colors. It was never built until the guy in the magazine issue built it. It was called the " paint code cuda " it was featured at the 2016 muscle car & corvette nationals in Rosemont Il. ( I live right there and I missed it! Figures ! ) half the car, drivers side, was dark green with a black vinyl top and factory stock. The passenger side shows all the colors and a race car look, mags, ladder bar s is the first stage, drivers side stock colors.  The fun begins...

IMG_0014.JPG

Thanks! THis is going to actually be WORK! I always seem to pick the hard stuff! It's just such a cool looking car I had to try.  The problem I'm already seeing is that there are 26 different colors. I've been able to match about 18. But, because of the scale I won't be able to fit all 26, let alone use black pinstripe ( which I can't find ) on it. My plan was to go with the 18 and use white pin stripes, ( from the Sox and Martin decals ) to do it. I still think if I can actually get all 18 w/o messing it up it'll be a pretty cool looking model!  Any thoughts? 

Here is the drivers side done. Dark green with black vinyl top. I already had to fix a couple of " blurbs " I'll call them.  I had to fix one spot but didn't wait long enough for it to dry so I damaged the green which I had to fix also! There's a saying in body work " slow is fast "! How true. Now I can start on the stripes...

IMG_0015.JPG

Yeah I know. Although some of the colors are right but there's no way to match them all without the codes. I'll  look at gofer maybe I can find the black stripes. It looks like the Z/28 decals have the thin stripes but that's to many sets of decals. That's my last worry. I figure when I get to that point I'll know all the colors are on! Here's the first color

IMG_0016.JPG

IMG_0017.JPG

Tim Welborns recreation of a car that never existed in real life ( the original was a retouched pbotograph)

Edit, If my memory is right the car shown above was a vinyl wrap and not paint. And I ' think '  it's a  real Hemi Cuda and they plan to return it to factory  stock once the coolness factor dies off over this

Odd thing is. A few of the colors on the car wasn't even avail on a real 1970 Cuda back then.

Edited by gtx6970

Well, color 3, so far so good! I figured it to 21 colors that I'll apply. The car actually had 25, and some of them are hard to tell and it looks like some of the colors are duplicates. And as Krazy Rick pointed out, without exact paint codes none are  an exact match, so it doesn't really matter. So, I'll just eye ball it as best as I can!  Hope you're enjoying the progress! 

IMG_0019.JPG