Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

I was going thru my build ups that have been packed away and I found this...

20170501_180912.jpg

20170501_181331.jpg

20170501_184205.jpg

Old prescription bottles make great wheel tubs. My brother told me about this years ago.

Stay tuned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20170525_181433.jpg

I read something about a paint stripper from Dollar Tree in another thread so I thought I'd give it a try. Pleasant smell and safe on the lungs. The best part, it was only a buck. I can verify, it works pretty well with very little scrubbing. Made quick work of this 20 year old paint job.

20170526_083652.jpg

Also go the prescription medication bottle wheel tubs in place.

Stay Tuned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome looking Chevy... I dig the height. And the bottle idea.. 

What's the cleaner from Dollar tree?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20170603_102315.jpg

Added a splash of Wally World flat white. I see that there is more work needed on the hood and above the drivers window.

20170603_102327.jpg

Freshened up the motor. changed out the blower for dual carbs and swapped the valve covers. Also hard to tell but the interior will be red. The 80's style seats had to go. I will be using a set of '69 Z-28's

Stay Tuned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve, I gotta tell ya bro, I still think this is one slick ride. Where did you get the wheels for it? I can't tell by the pictures, what did you do to lower it? or is that just how it sits on those wheels?

 

And BTW, thanks for the shot of the cleaner!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks guys! The wheels are from a 1/25 scale remote control car from amazon. I got tired of seeing the same old Pegasus wheels on everything. Not that they aren't cool looking, it's just that there isn't much to choose from and everyone uses them. I wanted something a little different. Glad you like them.

20170604_074946.jpg

As for the suspension, I kinda cheated. I drilled a hole in the frame and shortened the axle and made them one.

20170604_074921.jpg

As for the front, I used the upper and lower A arms from the R/C car. Basically I just sandwiched them onto the frame with a little bit of square tubing inbetween. Unfortunately, since the wheels are so big, this leaves little room for steering. All 4 wheels will roll, just won't steer. The engine is a super tight fit because of the headers. I could swap them out but I like them too much the change them.

20170604_075146.jpg

20170604_075129_1.jpg

I used old pill bottles for the tubs. This is needed in order for the big wheels to be functional. I'll be using a tonneau cover for the bed cover.

20170604_075308.jpg

For all of this to work in harmony, I had to remove the inner fenders. I don't particularly liked the open engine compartment as it looks like a nascar. I may address this a little later. We will see. You can see the seats I'll be using. They were molded in blue so I had to give them a splash of white before they get the final red color.

Stay tuned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Steve, it's coming together nicely & I like where you're going with it. Can't wait to see more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jeremy.

20170604_204954.jpg

Got the dash painted up

20170604_205019.jpg

Decided to go with a steering wheel from the parts bin

20170604_212003.jpg

20170604_212015.jpg

20170604_212030.jpg

20170604_213311.jpg

I sprayed the headliner. this leaves me plenty of clean up even after all the masking. Still working on a pesky spot on the hood.

Stay Tuned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20170606_200805.jpg

20170606_200820.jpg

Got the interior together.

20170606_204008.jpg

Here's the seat that came out of the box stock kit I built in the 90's

20170606_203806.jpg

20170606_203759.jpg

Before and after shot of the wheels

20170606_212534.jpg

I made the drive shaft from a piece of aluminum tubing. All I did was cut off the ends of the stock shaft and glue them to the tube.
The wheelbase changed a little from stock so this had to be scratch made.

Stay Tuned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20170611_091046.jpg

Getting some more things done. This weekend I started putting the trim back on. Originally I was going to paint her gold like the 60 Impala also on the workbench but decided to keep her flat white. I really like how she looks in white. I was looking at the bumpers and saw that my ham fisted glue application attacked the plastic and left some divits, so I did something I NEVER do. I stripped off the chrome and sprayed them white to match the body. I don't hate them in white.

20170611_091124.jpg

Then did some work under the hood by adding my latest heater hose technique (old ear bud leads).

20170611_091234.jpg

Stay tuned...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...