Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aloha Camaro Model Build Help

I was thinking after I built my Graffiti cars about Aloha, Bobby and Rose Camaro.  I know the car was a 1967 Camaro. I think they had a few 68 pieces added to the front end put on it.  I'm trying to find a kit that is pretty similar to this car. I'm finding 1968 kits by AMT, but don't know which one to go with. Plus I know if I can pull this off I still have to fabricate the hood, and the flares above the wheels. So far haven't found to what degree fender flares are sticking out.  Same with what kind of motor this car is running in the movie. I know from watching the movie the interior is going to be black, and have a roll cage in it. There's switches on the dash near the shifter. The dash itself looks pretty much stock. The rims might be stock, but not certain. The back tires are going to be wider than the front.  

Needing  advice on this one everything from Colors, Motor, etc.  Has anyone ever attempted this build? 

bobbyandrosecamaro06.thumb.jpg.3827d25f4

snapshot20111109085902.3811.thumb.jpg.17

snapshot20111109085902.3811_(1).thumb.jp

Edited by Blackkat13

I would suggest starting with the Revell '67 Camaro instead of any of the AMT kits. The reason being the AMT kits had body proportion issues. Since you're going to be doing body modifications anyway the '68 grill shouldn't be a problem, and the rear spoiler and rear valance area are all going to be fabricated also. The pictures you have should be a perfect guide for the rear. In a resent build on the forum the builder used pieces cut from a plastic spoon to create the fender flares and they looked perfect. I'll enjoy watching this build. I have owned several Camaros in the past including a '69 that I had for a total of 18 years, I was the second and forth owner.

did they put 68 camaro doors on it?

all the 67 camaros I see in google have vent windows on the doors.

I seem to recall that 1968 was the year GM went to "astro-ventilation" which meant door glass without "wing windows"... but maybe that was only for firebirds.

I seem to recall that 1968 was the year GM went to "astro-ventilation" which meant door glass without "wing windows"... but maybe that was only for firebirds.

Astro-ventilation was for the Camaros as well as the Firebirds.

I would suggest starting with the Revell '67 Camaro instead of any of the AMT kits. The reason being the AMT kits had body proportion issues. Since you're going to be doing body modifications anyway the '68 grill shouldn't be a problem, and the rear spoiler and rear valance area are all going to be fabricated also. The pictures you have should be a perfect guide for the rear. In a resent build on the forum the builder used pieces cut from a plastic spoon to create the fender flares and they looked perfect. I'll enjoy watching this build. I have owned several Camaros in the past including a '69 that I had for a total of 18 years, I was the second and forth owner.

So you can't kit bash a Revell with a Amt?  I was looking at hoods for Revell kits. On the flares my idea was to cut paper or cardboard into shape. Then use JB weld and smooth that over the paper, sand, and blend into the body.  

or you could go to    www.resinmodelcasting.proboards.com    they have it cast....great people on casting (rocky & greg)  oldr-n-drt

How much do the body's run and what kit companies do they make?

I think so that's  why I want to kitbash the 67 and 68 for this build.  The only real hint of this being 67 is the tail lights.The 67 was the only year in camaros that had the vent windows. By 68 they went with the solid window.  Other than widows, grille, doors,   the car looks like a 68 pretty much.  I think that is why people get the year wrong on this car, is the body mods.

Edited by Blackkat13

I don't know for sure about the fit between the AMT and Revell Camaros as far as the hoods, but I have my doubts that they would just fit. The same for the '68 grill but it wouldn't take much. Just add a little material to the hood as needed, or removed. The same for say an AMT '68 Camaro grill. The remark I made about the AMT '68 Camaro body had to do with the proportions of the body and the way it is shaped. Others have posted here the problems, and also the cures, on these bodies. I think if you can look at the body before investing in the kit you'll see what I mean. An old AMT '68 Camaro kit at a swap meet still might be less expensive than buying a resin reproduction grill that you might have to work on anyway. I just think the new Revell kit would make a better basis for the body.  Oldr-N-Drt, I love that name I'm going to change mine to Farts Dust, suggested the resin body made of this exact Camaro and in the long run that may be the answer.   

I would suggest starting with the Revell '67 Camaro instead of any of the AMT kits. The reason being the AMT kits had body proportion issues.

No it doesn't. Both the AMT and the Revell bodies have shape issues in different areas, but they're fixable. The AMT problems are fairly easily fixable, the Revell, I can't say because I haven't fixed one yet. It looks like a fair amount of careful work and will take a Modelhaus AMT '67 annual grille.

Being a huge first-gen Camaro fan, and having studied all available bodies (including the original AMT and MPC annuals), I think the MOST accurate '67-'68 Camaro body could be made by starting with...the Revell '68 Firebird.

I don't know for sure about the fit between the AMT and Revell Camaros as far as the hoods, but I have my doubts that they would just fit. The same for the '68 grill but it wouldn't take much. Just add a little material to the hood as needed, or removed. The same for say an AMT '68 Camaro grill. The remark I made about the AMT '68 Camaro body had to do with the proportions of the body and the way it is shaped. Others have posted here the problems, and also the cures, on these bodies. I think if you can look at the body before investing in the kit you'll see what I mean. An old AMT '68 Camaro kit at a swap meet still might be less expensive than buying a resin reproduction grill that you might have to work on anyway. I just think the new Revell kit would make a better basis for the body.  Oldr-N-Drt, I love that name I'm going to change mine to Farts Dust, suggested the resin body made of this exact Camaro and in the long run that may be the answer.  

I built a Revell '69 with an AMT '68 "flat" hood and all it took was shaving/filing a little bit off the side edges, so the Revell '69 CI hood should fit the AMT '68 body just by adding a little material to the sides, not a difficult job.

To do this car, you might as well start with the AMT '68, as that's the only place to get the standard (non-RS) '68 grille. That grille isn't great, but it's all we have to work with without scratchbuilding. That grill is not a good fit in the Revell '67 body. In addition to the edge issues (inaccuracy of the Revell body), the V angle in the two models is very different. The Revell body and the original annual AMT '67 body are similar in angle, though, which is why the Modelhaus '67 AMT annual repro RS grill is a workable fit.

As far as the taillights, on this car they'd be easily scratchbuilt so don't worry about having to use the Revell '67 parts.

I built a Revell '69 with an AMT '68 "flat" hood and all it took was shaving/filing a little bit off the side edges, so the Revell '69 CI hood should fit the AMT '68 body just by adding a little material to the sides, not a difficult job.

To do this car, you might as well start with the AMT '68, as that's the only place to get the standard (non-RS) '68 grille. That grille isn't great, but it's all we have to work with without scratchbuilding. That grill is not a good fit in the Revell '67 body. In addition to the edge issues (inaccuracy of the Revell body), the V angle in the two models is very different. The Revell body and the original annual AMT '67 body are similar in angle, though, which is why the Modelhaus '67 AMT annual repro RS grill is a workable fit.

As far as the taillights, on this car they'd be easily scratchbuilt so don't worry about having to use the Revell '67 parts.

I seen on Ebay a Amt 68 z28 2 in one kit. I watched a review/unboxing on youtube. I like how they give you more rims, hoods, and tires. I'm trying to find pictures of 67 Amt Z28 to see how the rear looks on the car. Mainly to see if they have the sunk in tail lights>  I would be nice if the 2 in 2 kit has all these little goodies. Something tells me this is going to be a challenge kit.   Plus I'm hoping the kits have a good 302 motor.  

Don't worry before I buy any kits Amt, Mpc, or Revell, I look into the good and the bad on each one. These were the ones I was thinking about.

s-l500.thumb.jpg.ea8947bb43ec829fc3ca26cs-l1600.thumb.jpg.217f48f1dde99723e90892

Edited by Blackkat13

I seen on Ebay a Amt 68 z28 2 in one kit. I watched a review/unboxing on youtube. I like how they give you more rims, hoods, and tires. I'm trying to find pictures of 67 Amt Z28 to see how the rear looks on the car. Mainly to see if they have the sunk in tail lights>  I would be nice if the 2 in 2 kit has all these little goodies. Something tells me this is going to be a challenge kit.   Plus I'm hoping the kits have a good 302 motor.  

Don't worry before I buy any kits Amt, Mpc, or Revell, I look into the good and the bad on each one. These were the ones I was thinking about.

The AMT '67 does not have the sunk-in taillights. No kit does. That's a completely custom thing on that car. I can't quite tell if they extended the rear panel or just sank those taillights in about 6", but either way, you'll have to do all that yourself. And some plain red plastic will do for the taillights for this application so don't worry about getting '67 taillights.

That rear spoiler is a nonstandard, completely custom item too. You'll have a lot of work to do on the rear end of this model.

The AMT '68 has a decent '68 302, but it's pretty plain, as they were that year. It could pass for a common 283 or 327. Dunno what the actual engine in your subject car looks like, but I'm guessing if you want to match it, you'll have to do some parts-swapping/kitbashing. Post pics and I'm sure we can help.

See if you can find my tutorial on improving/blueprinting the AMT '68 Camaro body. Those tricks, which are easy to do, greatly improve the looks of that body.

The AMT '68 has a decent '68 302, but it's pretty plain, as they were that year. It could pass for a common 283 or 327. Dunno what the actual engine in your subject car looks like, but I'm guessing if you want to match it, you'll have to do some parts-swapping/kitbashing. Post pics and I'm sure we can help.

See if you can find my tutorial on improving/blueprinting the AMT '68 Camaro body. Those tricks, which are easy to do, greatly improve the looks of that body.

This one Snake? 

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/98126-amt-67-68-camaro-review-improvements/

• 1 month later...

I have another question on this car.  Does anyone know the layout of the roll cage in the car?  The car has one, but from all the photos I can find there is no real good shots of the cage in the car.  Plus does anyone know a good kit to get a roll cage to fit a Camaro model?

I have another question on this car.  Does anyone know the layout of the roll cage in the car?  The car has one, but from all the photos I can find there is no real good shots of the cage in the car.  Plus does anyone know a good kit to get a roll cage to fit a Camaro model?

If it was built by Traco, it might be similar to the Penske/Donohue Camaros. Back in the early '90s, Hot Rod magazine had an excellent feature on the restored Penske '68 car and IIRC there were good pics of the cage and other interior appointments (amazingly, it had stock door upholstery panels). If you can't find that mag, I bet you could find similar pics of those cars on the net.

If it was built by Traco, it might be similar to the Penske/Donohue Camaros. Back in the early '90s, Hot Rod magazine had an excellent feature on the restored Penske '68 car and IIRC there were good pics of the cage and other interior appointments (amazingly, it had stock door upholstery panels). If you can't find that mag, I bet you could find similar pics of those cars on the net.

I was thinking about this today screen cap the movie when they show the inside.  Out of all the car shows they have brought this car to. The car never had the hood open, even in the movie the hood was up but no shots of the motor.  I guess I could hope they give the car a feature on the blu ray out this year.  Thanks for the info Snake

Edited by Blackkat13

What kind of rims do I go with on this kit?  I thought at first Starsky and Hutch car by Revell but I don't know if the Gran Torino is the right style.  

I bought 68 camaro kit, need to order a hood, and now I just noticed the rims where different. 

• 1 month later...

Update on this project I have the 68 Camaro model, rims, tires, hood, 67 dash decals.  I have been putting this on the back burner since I lost my grandpa last month. Dealing with a lot of family drama with estate of my grandpa, and a feud between my dad and aunt.   I need to get back into building and away from the stress.

How do I create the fenders on this kit? The real car flares come out a inches. If I heat the kit, I don't think that will give me the length I need. If I use the spoon trick What kind of glue do you use? What do you use as a filler on the spoon/car seam?

What color red is this car?   I can reference the photos from the movie, and hot rods dvd, but don't know the color.  

Has any seen this car in real life?

Can anyone vouch on the red color?   I heard  it is Chevy Red, but not certain.

What color red spray paint would come to this?

Car in movie

snapshot20111109085902.3811_(2).thumb.jp

Car at a show

bobbyandrosecamaro06.thumb.jpg.ce791e1c0

Edited by Blackkat13

Update on this project I have the 68 Camaro model, rims, tires, hood, 67 dash decals.  I have been putting this on the back burner since I lost my grandpa last month. Dealing with a lot of family drama with estate of my grandpa, and a feud between my dad and aunt.   I need to get back into building and away from the stress.

How do I create the fenders on this kit? The real car flares come out a inches. If I heat the kit, I don't think that will give me the length I need. If I use the spoon trick What kind of glue do you use? What do you use as a filler on the spoon/car seam?

What color red is this car?   I can reference the photos from the movie, and hot rods dvd, but don't know the color.  

Has any seen this car in real life?

Can anyone vouch on the red color?   I heard  it is Chevy Red, but not certain.

What color red spray paint would come to this?

You are making this way to difficult. If there is no documentation to verify a detail, I.E., the engine, roll cage, rear end, etc. Simply use your best guess. If you can't see it in a photo no one can tell you it's wrong. :)If you make it look like it belongs then you will be good.

For your body filler use a 2 part polyester filler. They do not shrink like the one part glazing putties do. I use USC's Icing but any 2 part in a tube or can will work well. The icing is very light and sands and feathers out well.

For the color I see a lot of orange in there so look at Pontiacs' Carousel Red they used on the GTO's. Anything that is close will be fine.

Like Snake said the whole back half of this car will be scratch built, you will not find it in a kit unless you get the resin piece.

For the color I see a lot of orange in there so look at Pontiacs' Carousel Red they used on the GTO's. Anything that is close will be fine.

Pontiac Carousel Red is actually exactly the same color as Chevy Hugger Orange. I'm not seeing that much orange in the pics, although no two of them really look alike.

Chevy Engine Red is a bright, bright red-orange. But if you just want a nice bright red, hard to beat good old Testor #3 Red which is the same (AFAIK) as Model Master Guards Red.