Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Caddy

RestoModGuy

Just finished this 1964 Caddy - "Da Cad" If you've ever built one of these old Johan kits, you know of the few pit-fall items to correct, one being the tiny taillights that do not fit correctly and missing the top cap. Did a lot of detailing to the grill/bumper, drilled out the molded-in headlights and installed some very nice resin replicas from Germany. I did update the look of the stock Caddy with pro-tour seats and three round aluminum gauges. Updated 20" wire-style wheels and lower stance give it a look I like. The paint is Testors RootBeer with pearl-clear accenting and lots of polished Wet Look Clear coats, it's one of my favorite paint jobs. The BMF gave me fits on this and isn't as perfect as I would like, but frustration gave way and it is what it is.

Photo_2017-05-01_18-23-54.thumb.jpg.8699

Photo_2017-05-01_18-27-33.thumb.jpg.339b

Photo_2017-05-01_18-26-43.thumb.jpg.99a0

Drilled out the molded in head lights, replaced with some very nice resin pieces from Germany. Printed a Cadillac emblem and used it on the hood and truck

DSCN1486.thumb.JPG.810991dac73d8c240e145

Added some details like handmade accelerator and brake peds. Door pulls and updated the guage pack using aluminum tubing

DSCN1492.thumb.JPG.962d6be3fb08ecf3426cf

Photo_2017-05-01_18-26-22.thumb.jpg.1bcd

Photo_2017-05-01_18-24-50.thumb.jpg.04ce

Edited by RestoModGuy
  • Like 1

Paint is immaculate and a great color. BMF is more than adequate ( I get down on myself with BMF too). Dashboard is seriously clean and neat. If I had to pick one thing out it's that the front bumper tilts slightly upward on the left side. But that would be pickin' fly doo-doo out of pepper. Dynamite job!

What a great looking Caddy. Beautiful super smooth paint and all the little details , like the headlights, really set it apart. The wheels are what really gives it the "presents"  or look.  

That Caddy looks great JIm as I'll be painting mine any day now when the temps get a little higher outside and it doesn't rain. It's in primer now. The top caps for the tail lights seem to be broken off your car. One of mine was broken and I had it fixed. I guess I'll have to shave the tail lights a bit so they fall right in.