Model Cars Magazine Forum

1936 revell ford coupe convertible

Here's my take on the kit, done as a 40s vintage custom..

36FordSide2.jpg

It's not bad. It's about what you'd expect for a kit first released in the 1960s. It you're doing an early custom, it has a very nice Lasalle grille and moulded headlights which the AMT kit doesn't have.   THe Custom taillights are ugly little chrome blobs, but that's easily dealt with by filling in the holes, and raiding the parts box for something better.   The wheel backs are just the right size to fit the standard AMT tires, so you have lots of options for hubcaps.

It's a pretty simple kit with a relatively low parts count (and I believe you'll find some issues do not have the custom grille, headlights etc.) and goes together easily overall.

The one problem is the separate hardtop. The way it's attached to the body shell, it requires careful fitting and some very fine filler work to look its best. Just like the old AMT kit of the same car, the fit and finish of the hardtop join at the bodyshell spoils the looks of most of these that get built.

A DECENT 36 Coupe is LONG overdue! The AMT kit is a classic, but the **&&##T Two piece glue on the roof is terrible! 

Multi piece bodies are early 60's engineering! Like HOLES through the block!

I'd buy some, especially if Revell made a DECENT, better than the recent kits, model of a 36 Coupe!

I don't know if this matters to you, but I have the latest "Car Show" issue of the Revell '36 Coupe/Cabriolet.  The chassis has dual exhausts and mufflers molded in, so it's not 100% stock. I'm not sure if the chassis has been that way since 1962 or not.  A builder on another forum was annoyed by that, because he wanted a completely stock chassis to use under the Monogram 1/24 '37 Ford body.

First , Monogram's 1936 Ford was a Convertible . AMT's 1936 was a ROADSTER!!!! Uh gang , they were two DIFFERENT body styles . Roadsters had acetate curtains . Convertibles had ROLL UP Windows .

Here we go !

Model 68  Body 720 3 Window coupe
Model 68 Body 700 2 door sedan

Model 68 Body 760 2 door Club cabriolet , ( Convertible )
Model 68 Body 720 Body 5 Window coupe ( Dick Tracy edition )

Model 68 Body 750 Ford Phaeton touring Convertible
Model 68 Body 4 door sedan
Model 68 Body Body 700 ( Trunkback sedan) 

I hope this helps educate some of you out there as I am one of the writers for the early Ford club and yes , I own a 1953 Ford Panel truck and it still runs a V- 8 Flat head