Model Cars Magazine Forum

Partial Kits- do they have any value?

I am wondering how much value partially complete kits have and will open this up to comments.

In my case, I bought a Revell 2014 Mustang GT kit yesterday in the clearance section at Hobby Lobby with the intention of using the engine and trans in one of my Moebius F100 pickups. The remainder of the kit is of little use to me as I probably won't build it, so my question is- What would you pay for that kit minus the engine and trans? What trade value does it have?

I have sold some kits in the past at shows to the slot car guys and there is a show coming up in 2 weeks that I could go to and try and sell them at. I have typically sold them in the 8-10 dollar range as the guys will usually buy a bunch of kits and I like to package them in a deal.

Looking forward to your comments and suggestions. I am not an "eBay-er" so any selling I do is usually at shows or via email.

I have also purchased this kit for the same reasons but for a different build. If you can get $8 to $10 for what remains I think that would be a good deal for both parties. The person buying your kit would have a chassis and suspension. Wheels and tires and an interior. They could even use parts of the body to update an older Mustang. For my self I would hang onto the remains for all of the reasons mentioned.

I've paid as much as $15 for a fairly current kit of a US car missing the engine and a few other bits. For $8-$10 at a show, I'd think they'd move pretty well...assuming you hit somebody who actually has a use for the kit, or can convince himself that he "needs" it just in case.  :D

There are many eBay sellers who take complete kits, part them out, and sell individual parts for outrageous prices (like a $15 hood or a $40 set of wheels).  While the turnover rate is probably pretty low, they do seem to thrive.  You could do the same with a partial kit.

You're extremely limited as far as who you can sell it to.  Often the potential buyer is looking for the same parts you took out of it.

When I buy a partial kit (usually one missing the body and related parts, bought from a slot car guy) I haven't paid more than $5-7.  If I'd have to pay more, I'd instead look for a complete kit (as cheaply as possible) and then sell off what I didn't want, usually in that same price range.  I did that a few years ago with a couple of Revell pro-street '41 Willys kits.  Found complete kits at automotive swap meets for $5-8, swiped the chassis and engines, then sold the bodies to slot car guys and ended up with the parts I kept, for free.

My experience tells me if you can get $10 for it, consider yourself lucky

I had a monogram 65 GT350 missing only the tires and wheels . for $10 and not one single person picked it up. 

You should really PM Bill if its only missing wheels/tires. I'd be willing to trade something for it. Being a Mustang guy I have parts galore. 

Some great replies here and lots of good suggestions. As I mentioned, the slot car guys usually will buy a kit missing the engine/trans and even the wheels/tires because they are after the body. If a kit is only missing the engine/trans, it can still be built as a curbside, so I would think $10 is a fair price. 

I will go through my partial kits and see what is what and put together a list. Might be worth trading or selling with some forum members here!

Interesting question, thanks for posting it.  I've been wondering about this myself, since I'm putting together an eBay sale right now with some incomplete kits. I've sold incomplete kits on eBay in the past, generally with pretty good luck. 

Not sure if this helps you. But I'll usually sell the incomplete kit paired in a lot with a more desirable one.

During the big Ollie's blowout last year, I bought several Revell Snap-Kit 2005 Impala Police Cars.  I removed the wheels/hubcaps and all the police parts. I'll be selling these as eBay lots, combined with complete kits. Will probably list them as (Desirable Kit) + FREE BONUS IMPALA PARTS CAR!!!  Or something exciting. I figure somebody might want to build them as a taxi, beater, grocery-getter etc.  All they need is a set of wheels (the tires are still in the kits).

One seller I watch on eBay that breaks up kits at reasonable prices ended up with a lot of unsold NASCAR chassis that finally were blown out cheap; another one had no trouble selling bodies, wheels, tires and engines but couldn't give away interiors. Best I can say is watch what sells - good luck.

Picked up a cheap, and I mean very cheap, Gremlin kit at a recent show, missing the body and bumpers that were used for a slot car. Went right over to Jimmy Flintstone and bought a Resin early gremlin body, had less than a new Gremlin kit cost in the project.