Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius 1955 Chrysler 300

THarrison351

So I've been trying to get back into building models again by starting off with simple pre-finished kits, or kits with few parts. I needed some inspiration. The last couple of years all I have built were Revell's snap kits, a couple of old Lincoln Mint diecast Harleys, and one old AMT annual. I started this kit 4 years ago, but I was sent to Canada to get our then new CSeries CS 100 test aircraft ready for first flight. A new home, several more trips to Canada and I was hoping by now I would have my own hobby room to work and display my stuff. Well, this kit is mostly done, it just needs to be finished. Today I foiled the body. Tried out some Molotow pens for touch up. Very impressive. I had used them on some recent kits, but I hadn't used it to touch up BMF. It works great. More to come.

Thanks, I did absolutely nothing with the Chrysler today. The paint is Tamiya Racing White. It turned out to be the closest to Chrysler platinum in my eyes. Tamiya paints always come out so smooth as long as the surface is well prepped. The foil turned out well. I purchased a new sheet yesterday. I would have bought two more, but the other two were damaged.

The weather was fantastic, so I took advantage and painted my Mustang convertible. I'll be working all weekend, so I'll be back at on Monday.

Good progress today. Sadly a part is missing after four years of storage and moving. I don't know, maybe it was lost before and I've forgot. I've slept since then. The generator/power steering unit is no where to be found. I could get in touch with Moebius for a replacement. We'll see. I can add it later.

I'm a little disappointed in the decals and lack there of. They could have had better registration and the instrument gauges should be silver instead of off white. It would have been nice to have decals for the hubcaps and front and rear emblems. As you can see, I am using the hubcaps because I felt they visually looked more to scale then the wire wheels. Plus, it seems like everyone uses the wire wheels in their builds. I also cleared the body in Future. More to come. 

I understand, but my 52 year old eyes and hands aren't getting any better. I use 3x glasses and a lighted 8x magnifer to see, but I have nothing to steady my hands. The front emblem turned out better than the back, and there is no way I could put checkered circle with 300 in the middle of those hubcaps.

Hey, don't get me wrong. I love this kit. It has gone together flawlessly so far. Hopefully, later today, I'll have the glass in, ready for the chassis/interior insertion. I've already test fitted it and it looks good. The decals were my biggest concern and really that was minor. I have noticed the 300B has decals for the front and rear emblem, but still no wheel cover emblems. This should be an easy fix. I have the Tim Flock kit and look forward to completing it some day. This is the first Moebius kit I have built. Moebius keeps offering cars no one ever thought of kitting. I hope they never stop. I have their Hudson, Ford trucks, Mercury, Pontiac and Plymouth offerings. My wish is the others get on board and offer the odd never kitted car. I have to have them all. 

Ok, I'm done. It just sort of fell together and I didn't take any pictures. Overall, I'm happy with how it turned out. Almost everything fit with precision. What didn't, just needed a little finesse.I'm on to the next project you see behind it. I won't WIP it. I'll just put it in the "Under Glass" when it's done.

IMG_0001_zpstjfeqwne.jpg