Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yes I would accept money orders. I believe you can also pay with credit card on eBay if you don't have PayPal.

Also, I just want to note, if you see a model that you'd like, but do not want to join the bidding process, just send me a message on eBay (I don't check here very often and although I checked the option that alerts me when a reply is received, I haven't bee getting notifications). Or you can email me: apristo2@gmail.com and we can work out a price. Depending on the value of the model, I'm willing to let some things go for just the price of shipping, as I'd prefer they go to people who will respect and appreciate the models more than I care about profit from them.

I looked thru the ebay listings nothing really catches my eye. And IMO are not the ones your father is known for.

I don't remember the name of it but he built a steam tractor looking thing maybe a year or so ago. THAT is one I would most certainly be interested in

When I think of it, this may be true for ALL of us.

I come here every day whether I post or not. I have come here every day since Harry left us and I have thought of Harry every time I have visited this site. That means Harry has been on my mind if even briefly, every day since we got the news he had left us.

That's something significant.

Bob

That is something significant :) He's definitely on my mind every day, some days my heart is heavy with his memory and sometimes it makes me smile. I'm glad others are still remembering him.

I haven't yet uncovered (literally- they are all in a room under a layer of newspaper) any of his scratchbuilt models. Those are still to come. I'm still trying to sell the diecast and plastic smaller scale models, and some unbuilt kits. I will put a list up of the ones it seems everyone here is interested in when I bring them home. For now they are still at my dad's house- I just don't have the space to transport them to my apartment yet. 

Quick question, if anyone can answer...I can't seem to get a clear answer when I search the internet..

For the Danbury and Franklin Mint models, does having the title significantly increase the value of the models? We've found a couple floating around and I'm sure there are more. Should I wait to put them up for sale until I am able to locate the titles or does it not matter much to those that collect them? 

For the Danbury and Franklin Mint models, does having the title significantly increase the value of the models? We've found a couple floating around and I'm sure there are more. Should I wait to put them up for sale until I am able to locate the titles or does it not matter much to those that collect them? 

For some folks it does matter. You may be able to get another $10 if it has that little piece of paper.

Serious DM/FM collectors want the shipping box, Styrofoam inner box, title and everything else, including that goofy little tag hanging from the rear axle.  On eBay you often see DM/FM die-casts advertised with "COA," which means "Certificate of Authenticity" (or title).

Don't worry if you're missing some of those things. Some people buy DM/FM die-casts to get parts for restoring others and already have the COA etc. Or they may want to completely rebuild it and don't care about the box and paperwork.

For some perspective, I had an eBay sale end just yesterday (Mon. 7/17/17).  One item I sold was a 1/24 scale Franklin Mint 1924 Hispano-Suiza "Tulipwood" roadster.  It did not have the title or shipping box (but did have the goofy little axle tag).  It had a broken windshield and the right-side spare tire was busted off and completely missing.  I started it at $9.99.  It got 22 bids and finally sold for $42 plus shipping. 

Edited by Mike999
Omission

Fellas, I just want to say what a class act Amy is! I got from her today a Danbury Mint '58 Plymouth, and it's mighty nice! She's very prompt in her shipping, and I couldn't be happier! :D

To see the car, I just created a thread which can be seen here......

Edited by MrObsessive

• 2 weeks later...

...and I am late to this thread as well. Totally missed it as per usual. 

I have not been on MCM as much as in the past and the loss of Harry IS a big reason..just not the same. I think of him every time I come on here as another member mentioned and I find it a bit hard.

I hope my kids are as strong and intelligent at handling my passing one day as Harry's kids have been in this horrible situation...Amy is truly AWESOME!!!

Harry was a great modelling influence for me, The Mentor I never met in person. Through watching his WIP's and direct contact he made me better

My favourite line from Harry is "nothing looks like real wood except real wood". He was a master at carving the basswood parts...rember the Shooting Brake RR panelling??!!

He inspired me on my metal Bugatti T35 build to drill a bazilion tiny holes and make safety wires and holders for the body as "that is a prominent and defining part of the car, shame to leave it off"

I am going to be fortunate enough to get a couple of his models and I suggest that we post those back up into the forum so others can enjoy them again and see that they went to good homes.

Thanks Amy

Cheers big guy, mis ya

Nice post Scott and I think that would be great to have a 'pinned' thread with pictures of his finished models. Anyone who is fortunate enough to have one in their collection could post to it so we could all see his masterful creative talents.

Amy did a great job packaging Harry's delicate Revell  Orange Crate chassis and Olds motor, which I hope to finish one day....doing justice to his standards.Those of you who tackled this kit as both a kid and an adult know how challenging it can be.

20170719_192819.jpg

Edited by styromaniac

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. It really lifts me up to check back here from time to time. I just got tears in my eyes from the last few posts. A huge thank you to everyone that has bought something of my dad's. Some of you I didn't realize were from the forum until after I saw feedback or from pictures and posts on here. I'm truly humbled. I just can't express how much this venue and all of you mean and what happiness it has brought me to interact with all of you. I just can't put it into words. 

An update, as well- I just (verrry carefully) moved all of my dad's models from the floor of a bedroom, where they were hiding under newspapers, and documented them pictorially. It's still going to take me a while to get to them- the logistics of packing them is a bit overwhelming, to be honest. For now they are all safely in an enclosed display cabinet and will remain there until I wade through some more of his un-built and partially built kits. I will, as always, check back here time to time and keep you all in the loop. 

• 3 weeks later...

Although I was not lucky enough to know Harry as may did on this forum, I did respect his words of wisdom. He was quick to offer advice and proper criticism to those who wanted it. He was also an avid builder and his ability to reproduce lifelike features in miniature were well known. Add my name to the list of those fortunate enough to have one of Harry's models in his collection. I became aware of Amy's eBay listings and was fortunate enough to win one of his motorcycles he built. It had suffered from some minor damage prior to shipment. The mirror and one of the levers had broken off. I have since repaired those items and now have it in a case. Also, she did a wonderful job of packing the bike and the box that came with it. Here are some pictures:

Protar  Ducati 888 SP4 Superbike  

Before Shipping

s-l1600

Now

IMG 0008

IMG 0003

Edited by THarrison351

Thanks, I not sure how old this build is, but it looks like it's been around for awhile and in a dust free area. I've read Harry likes polished plastic and this is proof in the pudding. Most of the metal parts are painted to look like their corresponding component. A lot of the plastic is as molded, brush detail painted or polished. All that shiny red is polished without clear. After looking at some Protar kits 1/9 online and comparing them to like 1/12 Tamiya (incredible detail) kits. Harry did a masterful job with this kit. I feel fortunate to have it. Be sure to check the rest of the pictures at my Fotki link under Harry's Bike album.