Model Cars Magazine Forum

Redline Tires the easy way.

I recently found these POSCA paint filled pens in a local Art and Craft shop. They are similar to Molotow Chrome Pens, only they hold paint instead of ink. A good shake, then push the tip down a few times and paint flows.

I got the 0.7mm tip version.

These were the brand my shop stocked, there are probably others out there.

I tried them freehand on a couple of spare tires and got decent results by following a raised part of the sidewall on the tires. Excess paint was easily removed with a sharp knife. 

cc63b50e-ecfb-44b4-b2f0-a5544f068f6e_zps

The results were better than my attempts at brush painting bands on tires but could do with yet more improvement.

Loading up a tire onto the arbour attachment on a cheapo hobby bench grinder and then touching the spinning tire with a red pen got me a perfect Redline tire!!

IMG_1295_zpsm5cwvrye.jpg

I love it when a plan comes together.:)

Tony.

Edited by TonyW

Very cool!

I've been playing around with a very similar white paint Sharpie pen. I did the GOOD/YEARs on an old Monogram solid vinyl tire and wasn't unpleased with the results. I might be using it more.

One thing to watch for is compatibility between the paint and the tire's "rubber" (vinyl). Enamels are notorious for NEVER drying on some kinds of vinyl. I'd suggest testing a big spot of your paint on the backside of one of the tires you want to use. Let it set a few days or a week. Is it thoroughly, completely dry? If it's not, it probably won't ever be.

Checking the tires I did last night I find the paint has dried hard and has a matt finish. Using a scientific spit test, I find the paint is water based. Probably an acrylic in that case. That should mean it can be used as a striping tool on just about any finish.

I didn't check at the Art supplier for white pens in the range.  If they do, I can see a whole load of wide whitewalls in my future.

I'll take a look next time I'm over there.

Good info! 

If you want a brighter red, do a white stripe first, spray a light coat of clear acrylic, then use the red.

Another thing to consider...use a white marker on a body part, spray a light coat of clear acrylic, then lay a clear decal over it. Not everybody has an Alps printer, and this could be a good work-around.

I've done the narrow whitewalls before, using a battery operated drill

Edited by BigTallDad