Model Cars Magazine Forum

Attaching brass mesh to plastic

I myself don't use much CA glue as the fumes from it can fog both clear and plated parts, but you can try 2-part Epoxy glue, it works for almost everything.
Or, white glue type Elmer's could work, same type most of us use to put the clear glass on the models, it's waterbased and dries transparent.

Edited by Force

Micro Kristal-Klear works great. Most hobby shops carry it. It's basically a thick white glue. It holds very well, including applications like yours with little surface area. Dries perfectly clear and cleans up with water. Stays where you put it until it dries. It works great for windows, lights, trim, and mockups too. If you'd told me 20 years ago that glorified Elmer's glue would be my go-to for half the final assembly of my models I'd have looked at you funny... now I can't imagine building without it!

Thank you for the reply!, I am going to try 2 part epoxy 

i think my biggest problem is that the service area to bond is so small

First, make sure you have the mesh cut...I'd use a circular punch (Harbor Freight has a set for about $10) to get a nice round part.

Next, mix your epoxy, then spread a thin layer on the surface of something that won't absorb any of the fluid; a piece of blister pack works nicely.

Now, press the flared end of the intake trumpet into the resin, then set that end onto the mesh previously cut. After (perhaps) some tweaking for alignment, let that piece cure.

Repeat as necessary. You might be able to do several tubes in one effort, depending on the cure time of the epoxy.

The advantage of using Micro Krystal Klear or any other white glue such as Elmer's or any other brand wich is similar is that it's waterbased so it cleans up easy so you will have several chances to get it right, it dries tranparent and it will not effect the plastic in any way.
With epoxy you will have only one shot at it.