• Announcements

• General Usage   05/10/2017

If someone is acting badly, either in a forum or a private message, please report it. There are conveniently located buttons for sending the post to the moderators. 

Vintage Popcorn Wagon

69 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking good Brad!  Nice wood work happening here.

Posted (edited)

Well, no picture since the knuckle is so small I decided to draw it. Made all out of brass and soldered where indicated. To keep the solder from filling up the steering arm hole, I use a piece of aluminum rod because the solder won't stick to it. Drawing not to scale. The long tube on the bottom can be soldered or glued depending on your wheel type.

BrassKnuckle-vi.jpg

It would seem every time I do working steering, I come up with a new plan.

Edited by gasser59

Posted (edited)

Here's a couple of pictures and just as I thought, too small to make out any of the details out.

Axel1-vi.jpg

Axle2-vi.jpg

These brass parts still need painting.

Edited by gasser59

Posted (edited)

Exceptional, Brad!

But wait . . . since everything you do is exceptional, I guess this is just your typical, average.  :lol:

*Glad to see you got the picture thing figured out ~ or at least you figured out how to beat Botoph...et!

Edited by Danno

Posted

Thanks Danno. What a pain to go and update all of my photos. And it doesn't help that my photos are on two different computers.

Posted

Network Attached Storage (NAS) is a great way to store your content locally and when properly configured can be accessed by any computer on your network.

Posted

Outstanding scratch building and thanks for sharing your technique and method with us. Very helpful in learning how to do this.

Posted

Thanks for your interest fellas. Much appreciated. A bit of bench time and got the chassis attached to the floor, axles are painted and glued in, and rims have been painted. Need to add some silver to the outer most part of the rim yet. Mat just try the new Molotox Liquid Chrome pen.

PWagonPassSide1-vi.jpg

Next up is the firewall along with the coil both inside and outside.

Posted

Well, the paint on the rims wouldn't dry so in the purple pond they went. Not sure what was wrong with the paint so I threw the can away.

Posted

Great start on this one..looking great..Chris 

Posted

That looks so good! That wood is so delicate looking

Posted

Thanks for your interest Chris and Mike. I know the wood looks delicate however its more sturdy than I would have thought. It is plywood with three layers.

Posted

Started work on the interior by making a small storage cabinet. I'm following the interior layout as best as I can make out from the original photo with a few improvisations from looking at the few interior shots I can find on the web.

Cabinet1-vi.jpg

Cabinet2-vi.jpg

Posted

great woodwork

Posted

That's the great thing about choosing something as obscure  as this for a project.If you can't find the information concerning the exact floor plan for this truck I'm quite sure no one else will pointing out that any particular is incorrect or that you'll be getting a letter from the vintage popcorn wagon owners association scolding you for incorrect details:)

The only place you might find more information might be the Popcorn Museum located in Port Clinton(?),Ohio.I was there a long time ago and at that time they has two originals on display.As always inspiring work!

Posted (edited)

The Cretor's Company in Chicago was the inventor of the first popcorn machine and is still in business today. They have a couple of these vintage machines on display in their warehouse/showroom.

Edited by gasser59

Posted

This truck is really coming together, keep it going gonna be watching

Posted

What a great project Brad !!!

As the others have said,  beautiful woodwork my friend.

Randy

Posted

Thanks guys. This build has temporarily stalled until I source some interior components.