Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sox & Martin '67 GTX-a question

I recently won the latest issue of the GTX at the silent auction at Kingston. On opening the kit, I found the GTX chrome tree, but with a set of Cragar S/S mags instead of Keystones. I know the Cragars were found in the Drag On Lady Coronet, but has anyone else noticed this issue?

IMG_0206.jpg

If I remember correctly , the original , c.1994 S&M kit had the correct Keystones . I have no clue as to when or why the Cragar S/S are in this issue ( which I don't have )  ; even the c.2000 issue of the GTX had the Keystones ( and the S&M parts as well , sans decals ).

The biggest "problem" I have with the Revell 1967 GTX / RO23 / Charger is :

- 8 3/rear . Should be a Dana 60 ;

- Four-paddle , direct-drive fan . Should be a seven-paddle with clutch .

I recently won the latest issue of the GTX at the silent auction at Kingston. On opening the kit, I found the GTX chrome tree, but with a set of Cragar S/S mags instead of Keystones. I know the Cragars were found in the Drag On Lady Coronet, but has anyone else noticed this issue?

IMG_0206.jpg

....I had the older issues, and no, they had a generic looking wheel....I found that the Revell  excuses for wheel's in any of their S-M GTX, Chargers, Shahan's, etc are weak in general. One of the nicest Keystone set's for you is in the latest AMT 40 Ford coupe or delivery. They will fit the bill nicely for you, and are plentiful everywhere.....hope this help's....the Ace....:D

I don't have the latest issue myself but I do have several of the original Sox & Martin issue as well as the generic black and yellow 2 'n 1 kit and they all have Keystone Classics on the chrome plated tree, I just took one out and looked to be sure, they are quite shallow tho'.
So the company that does the molding for Revell must have put in the wrong insert in the tool for the plated parts, it seems to be happening a lot these days for Revell, wrong. missing or broken parts appear more often in the newer kits...that's not good quality control.

When we talk Sox & Martin 67 Belvedere/"GTX", and many of their other race cars, we need to talk plural as they had at least two or even more at the same time for different classes or sanctioning bodies, I have pictures with two 67 Belvedere/"GTX" cars on the transporter, they ran different classes and I have seen markings for both SS/B, SS/D and SS/E on the 67 Belvederes.

Edited by Force

I have the latest one released, and have not looked that close to the kit. Probably because I have no reason to look for those rims, because the car I have will be built STOCK "Street" GTX, not a race car! -May not even have a Hermi in it when I'm into building it! BUT I do recall the rims that are pictured here in the kit....

Any reason they at Revell may have went from the Keystones to the Cragars?

The tooling is often shared by several kits and the tooling is made so they can change inserts to do different parts for different kits.
So for this one they seems to have used the wrong wheel insert.

The version I have of that kit dated 2002 kit #2386 has Keystone wheels, not Cragars...and Magnum 500 style stock wheels.
So this kit (at least mine) is exactly the same as the Sox & Martin kit sans decals, with the stock parts from the 1994 kit #7359 added.

Edited by Force