Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri black thunder

I started to build on the black thunder from italeri that i bought a while ago.
Have just built on it for a few days after work but here is how far i have come for now.
Frame is completed, engine is assembled and painted, radiator is assembled and painted, also painted it silver on the inside to simulate how it looks on real trucks when you can see the aluminium through the fanshroud.
Also started to paint the hood white on the sides and flat black on the top.
Have to repaint the other side as some of the paint on that side came up with the maskingtape...

DSC_0421.JPG

DSC_0422.JPG

DSC_0423.JPG

DSC_0424.JPG

DSC_0425.JPG

DSC_0426.JPG

A small update maybe?
Have not done much to it only some small things.
Decided to paint the frame around the cooler under the trans black. (What is that cooler for? is it for the transmissionoil or something else?)
Painted the coolant tank on the radiator gray, cleaned up some paint misses where the fanhub attaches to the blades and painted the condensor in a different shade of silver.
Painted some details on the mountingplate for the fithtwheel silver, still needs some work to get it to where i think it looks good.
Added fuletanks to the frame and did a testfit of the hood, that also still needs some work to look good
And no parts of the radiator grill is not white, it was the flash on the phones camera that did that....

DSC_0427.JPG

DSC_0428.JPG

DSC_0429.JPG

DSC_0430.JPG

DSC_0431.JPG

DSC_0432.JPG

DSC_0433.JPG

DSC_0434.JPG

DSC_0435.JPG

DSC_0436.JPG

Did some more tonight,
Also not sure if i am going to use the wheels from the kit or replace them with spiders instead.
Borrowed the rubbertires that is on it now from an american superliner kit that i have as the tires included with the black thunder are plastic..

IMG_20170512_233046_1.jpg

The grille is actually just chromed plastic and comes with the kit, but it do look nice.
The american superliner have the same grill as it is the same kit, exept aircleaners, sleeper and bullbar.
Have not done much more to it, exept assembled the bullbar, aircleaners and started on the interior, cab and sleeper.

gatorincebu:
Thanks i suspected that.

Edited by PierreR89

Interior and instrumentpanel are done, did not do much detail,s on them since most of it will be hard to see.
This is how far i have come on the aircleaners and bullbar, still some more painting to be done on the aircleaners.
I think i will have to do the last thing on the aircleaners when they are mounted on the cab so everything lines up.
The lighthousings on the bullbar are going to be black and not chrome.

IMG_20170520_200104_1.jpg

IMG_20170520_195616_1.jpg

IMG_20170520_200955_1.jpg

IMG_20170520_202456_1.jpg

Finnised the main parts of the cab and there are only mostly chromedetails left to do on it.
Assembled the sleeper and then did a testfit of everything on the frame.
If i had read the instructions better before i started i would have bought the aircleaner set from auslowe as those in the kit are just for show and have no airhoses from the engine connected to them..
The kit wants you to use the stock airintake that sits next to the radiator and goes directly to the airfilter housing then in to the intake on the turbo.
Now i am to far gone to do anything about it..

IMG_20170521_172324_1.jpg

IMG_20170521_172346_1.jpg

IMG_20170521_172401_1.jpg

Looking awesome so far!!!!

Thank you
Have not done much to it today, glued in the headlights in the hood and thats it...
I also thought about leaving the roof of the sleeper unglued so those that want can lift it off and take a look inside it, there are no decals in the way for it to be removable so why not.

Thats one of the things that i am not very happy about on my Western star, all the work done in the sleeper and then just glue the roof on and some decals on the sides and the interior will never be seen again..
I have it removable on my alaskan hauler + it has opening doors so anyone that is interested can lift it off and open the doors to look at the interior.
They did however mess up on the hood instead, the huge front bumper is not movable so the hood is impossible to have in open position but i made it so it is just to lift it off instead so that the engine can be looked at.
I am going to post pic,s of it in  te under glass section later.

If ya did the work inside I'd have it to where it would come off.... I'm re doing my Pete wrecker with a bunk house on it but I'm not gonna do much detailing back there as mine won't be opened... thought about doing a bunch of detail but..... then again who knows, could change my mind once I start putting it all back together!!! Lol ? 

Its almost done as of now, just some small details left mostly lights, mudguards, airintake and aircleaner assembly in the enginebay and some other small stuff.
Added the old and barely holding together decals to it and mounted the cab and sleeper to the chassie.
Used a chromepen to paint the exhaust, some aircleaner details and the bottom trimpiece of the sleeper.
I am going to buy some mack badge photoetch and bulldog to make it look more complete in the front.
It looks good now but knowing there should be a name and bulldog on the radiatorgrille is going to bug me for ever if i dont fix that.
You can also see that Italeri got lazy when converting it to a australian truck by just throwing a set of aircleaners on it (and keeping it LHD..), if it were in reality the doors would not be able to open more then a few inches..

IMG_20170527_005556_1.jpg

IMG_20170527_005655_1.jpg

IMG_20170527_005827_1.jpg

IMG_20170527_005732_1.jpg

Engineroom is done and the aircleaners are done.
Did a few other small things to it this evening, testfitted the stoneguard, mounted the bugshield and glued in the headlightlenses.
Now i only have the mudguards, indicators and roof ac left and then it is done.

IMG_20170528_160246_1.jpg

IMG_20170528_213110_1.jpg

IMG_20170528_213132_1.jpg

IMG_20170528_213302_1.jpg

Edited by PierreR89

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got the parts i have been waiting for.
Its hard to see but i added 2 antennas to the bullbar and 1 antenna on each mirrorarm + the one included in the kit so there are 5 of them on the truck.
Also testfitted the new tires and wheels.

IMG_20170714_193237.jpg

IMG_20170714_185143.jpg

IMG_20170714_191428.jpg