Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya TS Clear Question.

I've used Tamiya TS-13 Clear several times on top of other TS-series spray paints and so far I've had no problems. Now I'm just wondering if that TS-13 clear will work on top of Tamiya AS-spray paints which are designed for aircrafts and other military applications. I need this paint color for a car body, so it will have to be clear coated so that it's glossy. So has anyone tried to clear those AS-spray paints with TS-clear succesfully?

I wouldn't want to order those paints if they don't work with each others...

The TS and AS paints are perfectly compatible; however, be aware that some flat paints are very flat and may take vast quantities of clear to try to make a glossy finish. I experienced this with a Tamiya AS gray (can't remember which one) and TS-13. By the time I realized it just wasn't going to work I'd wasted a lot of paint and nearly a whole can of clear. 

The TS and AS paints are perfectly compatible; however, be aware that some flat paints are very flat and may take vast quantities of clear to try to make a glossy finish. I experienced this with a Tamiya AS gray (can't remember which one) and TS-13. By the time I realized it just wasn't going to work I'd wasted a lot of paint and nearly a whole can of clear. 

Well that's a problem! I don't want to strip the paint job on this particular body (Revell Pontiac Club De Mer) as it requires a lot of bodywork before painting and I have to assemble pretty much everything else before I can do the paint job.

Nick's suggestion is good, but the problem is that I can't find any of those alternative paints here in Finland... I guess I'll ditch the idea of using Tamiya paints then and head to a local hardware store to see if they have anything that might be close. Those paints are designed for 1:1 cars but I've used them on my builds before. They're not as good as Tamiya Sprays but I can deal with them too.