Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 962c

Scalper

Yes. I go light coast about 15 min a part if your using Tamiya clear. It works well over decals. Let the decals dry really good. I wait about a week. This is a 43rd with the body painted to coats of clear left too dry for four days , decals applied and left too dry for a week, then two more coast of clear. 

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice! I love these kits.  Loved watching the real ones run at the CamelGT races back in the 80s.   Living close to RJRs plant in NC, there was always someone with free tix to races at Charlotte.  The Marches, these, the Jag, oh my.  The Red Lobster car was my favorite paint.  I think it was a March.  

Lovely build indeed, you are a master of the Porsche build

Wrt the clear, it is one of the more difficult areas IMHO and have been studying it.

So here are my notes:

*If you go too light  a coat and especially if spraying too far away, your clear will atomize and dry before it hits body and leave a rough finish. A second heavier coat can fill that in, like it would a flat paint layer

*If you flood the body too much, you will fill all your panel lines and details, leaving a gloppy mess of runs and buildups in corners...just like paint would

*It needs to be a positive wet layer, not too thick and not too thin. Different clears will behave differently 

*If you do a second coat of clear, one should sand with wet fine paper so the second coat has bite.....I didn't do that on my last 928 project and the clear had runs and splotches so the first layer looked better on it's own. Live and learn.

I am far from perfect at it and still a work in progress...just thought I would show some research notes

Edited by Twokidsnosleep

Thanks randy thanks brizio

thank you for the kind words and taking the time to post tips

its going to be too humid this weekend n the big smoke to spray 

I will be using Tania spray  

Lovely build indeed, you are a master of the Porsche build

Wrt the clear, it is one of the more difficult areas IMHO and have been studying it.

So here are my notes:

*If you go too light  a coat and especially if spraying too far away, your clear will atomize and dry before it hits body and leave a rough finish. A second heavier coat can fill that in, like it would a flat paint layer

*If you flood the body too much, you will fill all your panel lines and details, leaving a gloppy mess of runs and buildups in corners...just like paint would

*It needs to be a positive wet layer, not too thick and not too thin. Different clears will behave differently 

*If you do a second coat of clear, one should sand with wet fine paper so the second coat has bite.....I didn't do that on my last 928 project and the clear had runs and splotches so the first layer looked better on it's own. Live and learn.

I am far from perfect at it and still a work in progress...just thought I would show some research notest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

She looks very good!  You are doing a nice job on this.  I may have missed it, but why didn't you use all of the decals?  I only ask because I did this model for one of the annual 24 hour builds. I didn't completely finish only because of all of those decals....lol.

No matter, you have a very nice build going on!