Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finally,thanks TDR. (Pro mod 66 Nova body)

I recently got a body from TDR!  I got the 2013 Pro Stock Camaro in White Strong & Flexible material.  It has a grainy surface so I'm using Duplicolor Filler primer to smooth it out.  It takes some priming and sanding a few times but smooths out nicely.  The picture in primer is almost done.  I still have to finish sanding and maybe another coat or so of primer.   

IMG_8400 b.jpg

IMG_8405.JPG

Edited by crowe-t

NYLIBUD, Man I can't wait to see if you really build this one.  This will really be a cool car.  Love it. 

Do you have real live thoughts, or is it just a planning stage right now?

I'm looking forward to seeing you do this one.

What an excellent project!

It's 3d printed White Strong & Flexible nylon.

Crowe,have you ever built anything that was done by a 3D printer?I haven't.I knew the Nova was created  with a 3D printer,I just hope that I can build the car.Do you know if they're easy to work on?I mean 3D printing is the new thing,I guess.Well I guess I'll just have to wait to receive the car.I hope I didn't waste my money on it.Lol

Ron, The TDR 2013 Pro Stock Camaro I posted above is the 1st 3D printed body I got.  The White Strong & Flexible(WSF) material does have a grainy surface.  This attached picture shows the grain.  

I am using Duplicolor Filler primer on the body.  If you also got the WSF material you don't have to clean it.  Just spray on high build filler primer and sand.  Don't even bother sanding the body first, just spray the primer on and after it cures sand the primer.  I am using 400 grit paper and wet sanding.  This procedure(priming and sanding) will have to be done a few times depending on how much grain is on the body.  As long as you follow the body lines while sanding the details will stay.

The 3D printed WSF bodies aren't as easy to work with as a styrene body but after you start priming and sanding you'll see it start smoothing out.

My 2013 Pro Stock Camaro is just about all smoothed out and looks good.  I'll take more pictures over the weekend and post some. 

IMG_8397.JPG

Edited by crowe-t

So I was supposed to receive the Nova Kit in the mail today.Well it wasn't there.So I checked for some info from my tracking number...And that's where I read this very stupid reason,it couldn't be delivered.Apparently the driver could not delivery the package due to some BS ferocious animal that was supposedly lblocking my front door.So I said WHAT!!.I don't event dog,and while there are a lot of dogs on my street,they are all leashed up to there owner.I'd like to meet this beast of a dog roaming around out side.However that would be impossible,because there is none.Its Like the search for Bigfoot.Welp I hope I get it tomorrow.Maybe if I see the mailman,I'll try to find out what had happen and what the deal was with Friggin &@#%  Cujo?

Edited by NYLIBUD

Ok,so the Nova finally arrived in the mail.The body is pretty wild.However you were right Crowe,the material,and texture of the car are very weird,to say the least.It has circular lines through out the body.It certainly doesn't feel or look like resin.There is definitely going have to be a lot of sanding and filling..

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ron... Awesome body, going to be a killer build. Now this body doesn't feel like Resin because the material is actually Nylon. They start out with Nylon Powder and sinter the powder layer by layer with a laser. You will want to clean the body by washing it in warm water with some dawn. and to seal you can you use some thin superglue or you can primer with some high build primer, sand and repeat. either way you are going to have to prep the body with sanding. The reason you are seeing the circle like pattern in the body is from the laser  doing its thing to bond the material together. It also depends on the orientation of the part in the printer on how the layers are built up. 

Here are a few youtube videos that TDR Innovations have done to clean and seal some of their items that you  may find helpful.

Superglue seal only

Finishing TDR Innovations' "Sand Cast" Material Step 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzbyY4qllFI

Finishing TDR Innovations' "Sand Cast" Material Step 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAUiBUPNW9M

Finishing TDR Innovations' "Sand Cast" Material Step 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh94cEIGqqU

Thanks Monneyzs...Yea the body is pretty wild.I read some info on line about how 3D printers actually work.And your right it's done in layers.What an invention,they can make anything with these incredible machines..Anyway,thanks for all the tips.Yea,this car is going to have a ton of sanding,and filler primer..I just hope I don't screw it up.

Ron,  The body looks real cool!  Get a can of Filler primer and shoot a few heavy coats on and start sanding with 320 or 400 grit paper.  You will have to repeat this over a few times.  I talked with some guys on the TDR facebook page and they said using superglue is harder and details will get lost.  A high build filler primer is easier to use.  You actually don't need to clean the White Strong & Flexible(nylon).  Tim who runs TDR said you only have to clean the Frosted Ultra Detail material.  Don't bother sanding it until you apply the primer.  The nylon doesn't take well to sanding.

Edited by crowe-t

You are Welcome Ron... Yeah it is totally crazy what all can be printed. I have been pushing the limits with a few things I have been drawing up just to see what I can and can't have printed. I would do as Michael mentioned and probably just primer and sand, then repeat as needed I know that the super glue is hard as a rock and sucks sanding, Plus you don't want to loose any details. Take your time and not rush anything, I am sure you will do an awesome job on it.

FYI,if you are planning to buy one of these bodies,just hit the website above.The only thing is,that the hood and hood scoop are on the car,and need to be cut off.I mean of course you can go crazy,open the doors,remove the hood,and cut out the trunk.Once again,I'm not ashamed to admit it,I'm really not the best cutter in the world.But I'll try.Or I might just build it a"curbside"model.But I guess before I do anything,I gotta prep the body,as the guys above me,have thankfully explained how to do.Can you believe that pink Nova is Larry Larson,in the same Nova he's been racing in all this time before he was shattering track records all over this land.Larrys car was not only fast,it was perfect looking.The stance of his Nova,is wild.I Call that a super Nova.

Thanks fellas.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I gotta say,the material that the car is weird stuff.I know it's nylon,just never saw anything before,made by a 3D printer.So now after some much appreciated advice from some guys on here,I'm going to hit it with a few coats of filler primer,sand,primer.Etc.Hopefully the body comes out good.I'll post pics of the car once the body is done,and I guess ready for paint.But knowing myself,I'll probably screw it up.??

• 3 weeks later...