Model Cars Magazine Forum

Finally,thanks TDR. (Pro mod 66 Nova body)

Yea like I said I just really like the look of the body,slammed down and all.I realize it's going to take some prepping on my part to get the body nice and smooth.Ah if it comes out like SH#%,I'll just make it into a drag slot car.

This will be one to follow. Looks like that chassis will need a bit of lengthening to get the front wheels to sit right. Anxious to see how you do with the body.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok,so I hit the body with three thick coats of filler primer.Hopefully they came out good.Question,does anyone know how long to wait before I start sanding?Because this body is gonna take A LOT of sanding just to get the lines out of it.And more primer filler.Again,hopefully it comes out ok.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

A few pics of the body with two more light coats of filler primer.I guess the body is going to take quite awhile to be ready and fully dried in order to begin sanding.I guess it will be days,and weeks before any sanding can begin,or more.I'll Wait and see. Sorry having trouble with one picture.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ok,so I hit the body with three thick coats of filler primer.Hopefully they came out good.Question,does anyone know how long to wait before I start sanding?Because this body is gonna take A LOT of sanding just to get the lines out of it.And more primer filler.Again,hopefully it comes out ok.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

What brand of primer did you use?  I used Duplicolor Filler Primer and was able to start sanding later the same day.  I used 400 grit wet/dry paper.

Some more pics of the car.I'll use the 400 grit.Its so strange,the body looks like the circles,you would find in the center of a tree..Ha ha.I realize that things are created in layers in a 3D printers.Just looks odd.Also the chassis/cage is from a Pontiac prostock car,with some modifying. 

image.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I don't think I could handle this body. I have always had some patience but in my older age they get mighty thin. Looking at the roof circles, it would have been in the trash can long before now. Good luck on this build.

Richard

Hey Richard,I know what you mean,it's gonna be difficult to build.I mean obviously  that depends on how crazy I want to go with the car..I just really like the pro mod class,and I was looking for a pro mod Nova for a long time..And thanks to the company Shapeways,I found finally found one.Now as far as all the circles,that's how a 3D printer creates things in circular layers.But last night I began sanding the body with 400 grit,paper,and the more I sanded,the smoother the body is coming out.So I'll just keep sanding,dry and wet sanding,and spraying filler primer.Hopefully it cones out well.

Hey Richard,I know what you mean,it's gonna be difficult to build.I mean obviously  that depends on how crazy I want to go with the car..I just really like the pro mod class,and I was looking for a pro mod Nova for a long time..And thanks to the company Shapeways,I found finally found one.Now as far as all the circles,that's how a 3D printer creates things in circular layers.But last night I began sanding the body with 400 grit,paper,and the more I sanded,the smoother the body is coming out.So I'll just keep sanding,dry and wet sanding,and spraying filler primer.Hopefully it cones out well.

I hope it does. Back in the 70's and 80's I had a photo studio. I raced locally and followed the Winston circuit also. I use to call the tracks and get a starting line pass. I could go anywhere except the tower and take or record pictures of anything. The only ones I would go to was ones I could do in a day of driving. Took a lot of film photos at Darlington,SC and Bristol,TENN. I have film of the greats back then. Funny cars, Pro stock and some of the lower classes. I remember at Darlington the Funny cars and rails were ready to go to the line and I would go in front of them and take shots of them in their cars with the front raised up. Some would thumbs up me and some would just be concentrating on getting to the end first. I'll look through some and see if I can find something to post. I will have to scan the neg. and make it digital. Fun times back then. Now no one is allowed except the official photographers. I was at the starting line one time and when the car took off the motor blew and a piston came rolling up to my feet. Don't know what ever happened to that piston but it might still be here somewhere.

Richard

La da da la la da..?Just doing some more sanding.And one thing I can tell ya,it ain't easy.Man I wish this body was made of resin.Again still using 400 wet/dry grit..:(.I'll eventually hit it with a couple more coats of filler primer,then sand some more.Ah we'll see what happens.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg