Model Cars Magazine Forum

SLUMP BUSTER CBP!

Jantrix

Are you in a modeling rut? Are you in too deep with too many complex, involved builds to get much on the shelf this year?

If you are, join us here at the Slump Buster Community Build Project. Here our trained counselors will expertly guide you through the four step Slump Buster Building Program.

The four steps are

1. Clip

2. Clean

3. Paint

4. Assemble

THAT’S IT! What could be simpler? If you think the Slump Buster Building Program could be for you, call our toll free number at 1-800 FLE-ECNU. Have your credit card ready, and we’ll discuss our easy three-part payment program. Before you know it, you too will be actually completing models! 

young-man-holding-up-red-toy-car-BGTCNN.jpg

Count me in! With what I do not yet know. I need something simple to get me back in the building rhythm. I'll have to look and see what I have that would be fairly simple. This would probably give me a valid excuse to play with my airbrush too.... hmmm....

IMHO, the key to doing a box stock build is to find a kit that has good detail and molding right out of the box, AND has custom parts which is stuff you'd normally use anyway. 

With that in mind, I'm gonna do this Poncho. It's got great wheels and tires, it's nicely molded, and it already lowered. More soon.

IMG_20170512_212401_zpsnsuunahw.jpg

I'm in. I'm not really in a slump but I've been jumping from project to project and need to clear my bench and focus on one thing so this might just be the thing I need. I picked up this at Michael's last weekend with a 50% off coupon. I'll get started on it shortly after breakfast.

revell-1969-chevy-nova-ss_zpsrmgwahnp.jp

Thanks Rob. Great idea.

David

Perfect weather going on this weekend... Got in a little work yesterday on the Impala. Real nice looking body. Very few lines to rub out. Got it all smoothed out and primed yesterday morning, and I just came in from laying down a little paint.

IMG_20170513_154634117.jpg

Decided on Tamiya Gunmetal.. Still trying to decide if that's all the paint I'm gonna lay down or not. Decisions, decisions... About to head out and paint some of the other pieces after breakfast. Then on to planning out some more.

As always, thanks for looking...

Not much to show yet. Got the parts clipped and sorted and will start cleaning up the mold lines tomorrow. Leaning towards a custom with some miles on it. Not a barn find, but rod that has a lot of miles and car shows under it's belt, in dire need of a rebuild.

I had originally started this for two reasons. First - I wanted to actually finish a model, not just start another one. Second - I wanted to try a few colors that I was planning on using in future builds (the dull red isn't what I was looking for, but it works out OK here).

2017 needs to be a year like that. I never set a new years resolution of saying "build x number", but rather "get more time at the bench, and finish "more", with more being relatively undefined. To that end, recently I started a 1/32 Palmer kit called Screamin Demon, that I fully intend to build box stock, but I must admit the amount of flash already leads to me think it may be more work than I had imagined. BUT, I will do it, and have it done in very short order.

I finally got some free time to get started. Not much to see just a lot of cleaning and painting. The way I see it, without adding extra detail, the best way to make a box stock build up pop, on a contest table, is three things. 1. A great finish, 2. eye catching style and 3. contrasting colors.

So to that end I'm using flat black, semi-gloss black, aluminum, silver, gunmetal, titanium and flat red paints for the chassis and interior, and the body will be two tone gloss red over flat black.

20170521_134026_zpsgb4hk2lj.jpg

20170521_135736_zps2qvdzuzb.jpg

So last weekend, I sprayed the body with Tamiya Clear Red.. It looked AWESOME! That is until I woke up the next morning. The red dried with some kinda funky haze...

IMG_20170522_200801601.jpg

IMG_20170522_200646286.jpg

I was ready to scrap this paint job, or box it until another time, when I got a little pep talk from my pal, Joe. Didn't get it worked out just as we talked about, but took a chance and it paid off.... please excuse the lint. for the life of me, I couldn't get it all off....

IMG_20170526_144339039.jpg

IMG_20170526_144252755.jpg

IMG_20170526_144403451.jpg

Still have to smooth and polish it out some more, but I'm well on my way back in the right direction... stay tuned...

Edited by KWT

I'm about done with my Beetle, and over the main hurdles with a Datsun. So, I guess you can count me in with this kit. Contains a lot of custom parts, and is easy to lower with those parts. May add a wing, but that's it I swear!
81v1VpJDaOL._SL1500_.jpg

So last weekend, I sprayed the body with Tamiya Clear Red.. It looked AWESOME! That is until I woke up the next morning. The red dried with some kinda funky haze...

IMG_20170522_200801601.jpg

So what you have there is referred to as, blush. It is caused by humidity and it primarily effects lacquers, at least in my experience. It seems to get worse if you spray in a humid area and move it to an air conditioned area. The good news is, it will polish out. 

So what you have there is referred to as, blush. It is caused by humidity and it primarily effects lacquers, at least in my experience. It seems to get worse if you spray in a humid area and move it to an air conditioned area. The good news is, it will polish out. 

Same thing happened to my Celica. I was using Testors lacquer, which I don't think I ever tried before. 

Well being in TN and late May, I guess that may have been the culprit. Thanks for that explanation!

Happy to help. 

I've done more work on the Catalina. Most everything except the body is painted and ready for some detail painting and then assembly. More soon.

Edited by Jantrix

The little Model T I started required so much cleanup on the wheels that I got bogged down (the mold halves were slightly misaligned, so the spokes look way too thick) but it's progressing slowly, and the white flexible finish I've tried on the tires worked very well. Finished as much research as I'm gonna do on colors, etc...but it still seems I am totally incapable of just putting a model together as-is.

The little Model T I started required so much cleanup on the wheels that I got bogged down (the mold halves were slightly misaligned, so the spokes look way too thick) but it's progressing slowly, and the white flexible finish I've tried on the tires worked very well.

Yeah, that's a bummer. They're such neat little kits otherwise, but those spokes require so much work if you put yourself to correcting the registration offset. They're so nice, crisp and cleanly misalligned.

Finished as much research as I'm gonna do on colors... 

"Hmm, black? Or black?":lol:

Yeah, pretty funny.  :D But you'd be surprised how much disagreement there is as to engine color, whether the wood spoke wheels came from the factory in a natural finish, etc.

And of course photos of the time period are not much help, in black and white.

I'm in. I'm not really in a slump but I've been jumping from project to project and need to clear my bench and focus on one thing so this might just be the thing I need. I picked up this at Michael's last weekend with a 50% off coupon. I'll get started on it shortly after breakfast.

revell-1969-chevy-nova-ss_zpsrmgwahnp.jp

Thanks Rob. Great idea.

David

Ok, so my plan was to go with this. I got started a few weekends back, but havent really done much since cause I've got a nasty cold that's making the rounds in my area and have been sick for like 4 wks almost now. Anyways, last night I got all this out and had it set up on the dinning room table to build so I could binge watch some Netflix while I was building, and wouldnt you know it, the dog ate my homework. And I'm not kidding. The cat jumped up on the table and knocked my Tamiya paint stand over that was gleefully holding my prepped for paint body, which landed on the floor. Of course at the time I was outside with the dogs and didnt know it. Once we were back in side, I was getting dinner ready and thought to myself "hmmm self.....the puppy's really quite. Maybe I should go see why?" Well I found him, under the dinning room table turning my Nova body into confetti. Awesome.

So I've sent a request to  Revell, hoping they take pity on me and send me a new body. I'm hoping they get a laugh out of "the dog ate my homework" reason for the request. So now, I'm shelving the Nova and going to do a nice easy quick build of a simple kit.

Now on the bench...well dinning room table is 

Revell_F-150Raptor01_zps93eakp1v.jpg

I started on this early this morning and I just got back from Canadian Tire with some paint to try after seeing the beautiful job done by Jmaracing's Fireball Camaro http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/123728-fireball-camaro/#comment-1796470

Hoping the paint on the Raptor comes out like that Camaro.

I'm toying with the idea of swapping out the stock wheels/tires for some of these 

fmr-073_small_zpsjx01od46.jpg

Back to enjoying my day off with some building and bbqing.

David

Edited by Jhedir6