Model Cars Magazine Forum

Datsun Monster Tow Truck

I was thinking about buying this kit to bash the wrecker assembly onto another build but before I shell out the cash, wanted to see if anyone had opinions (good or bad) about the accuracy of wrecker parts.I always thought this kit was a bit cartoonish but after thinking about it, figured the wrecker assembly had to be rooted in another kit and they simply lifted it to create another kit.

If you have pictures of using this assembly on another truck, that would be most helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, while the Datsun kit has the appearance of a Holmes wrecker unit as in this box art pic

MPC4543-vi.jpg

it still does not appear to be close to the closest style of boom that I could find in a Google image search. 

kerrunstowsfineshortbedholmes3-vi.jpg

Honestly in my opinion, if you want to build a correct light duty wrecker, I suggest the GMC from Revell. 

spin_prod_1080370112-vi.jpg

It appears other than an older version from the late 70s or early 80s from Revell called the "Capt. Hook", Holmes also called theirs "Capt. Hook". 

CaptainHookpage_zpsa8f9559c-vi.jpg

You could also modify the GMC kit's bed to make one like this with a little scratchbuilding. The old Revell "Midnight Cowboy" also has a bed like this one, though the boom is slightly different. 

21453067969_9871de66d4_b-vi.jpg

I'm not knocking the Datsun in any way, because I don't have the kit yet, but I think the GMC or a Cowboy bed would be a much better starting point if you want a regular light duty tow truck.