Model Cars Magazine Forum

65 Chevelle Wagon: lowrider/rat rod

dig

Hey all!

This is a Chevelle that I wrapped up late last week.  This was built as an auction piece to raise money for the family of a fallen model car club brother.  If your interested, the auction will be hosted on my Instagram page: "detailjunkees" 

Exterior: custom patterned roof which was done by club brother Jesus Cardenas.  patina on the lower half was done with the salt method and the Tamiya weathering kit. coon tail antenna topper. Thermador swamp cooler. Kit bashed Cragars w/ Pegasus lowrider tires. 

Interior: custom printed fabric sarape seat covers and headliner.  scratchbuilt air ride tank and compressors using aluminum tubing and stock styrene.  vintage toolbox. Detail Junkees skateboard. old school donut style steering wheel. custom gauges.  flocking.

20170512_204327_001.jpg

20170512_204343_001.jpg

20170512_204355.jpg

20170512_210448.jpg

• Like 1

I love the combination of rat-rod patina with the intricate 'flaked roof, and the raccoon tail in combination with the cragars and pinstripe tires. Great detailing with the pumps, serape interior, etc as well. A very cool build. I hope it brings some cash for your cause.

I like it.. nice job

Very cool. Looks like something the gas monkey garage might do. Cool paint grapyics and patina. 

Very cool ride.Just a suggestion,but how about a cool surf board up on the roof?

thank you all very much!

Very cool ride.Just a suggestion,but how about a cool surf board up on the roof?

Thanks, that was part of the original plan, but once that roof was done like that, thought it was cooler to leave alone.  Then I thought out the tailgait, but preferred the air ride and club plaque. I have a couple more wagons to do, so I'll make sure 1 has a surfboard on top.

Tell us more on how you did the seat covers. What sort of fabric did you use?

Oh yeah! Absolutely.  I found this PhotoFabric online and decided to give it a try.  It is paper backed cloth that you can run through a typical inkjet.  You can then cut it out, peel off the backing and apply.  I hadn't worked with fabric in awhile, so I forgot how easy it stretches and can make the lines look crooked.  So, it took a couple of tries, but I got it.  For the tailgait panel, I ended up leaving the paper backing attached to keep it straight. 

photo fabric.jpg

photo fabric2.jpg

photo fabric3.jpg

Oh yeah! Absolutely.  I found this PhotoFabric online and decided to give it a try.  It is paper backed cloth that you can run through a typical inkjet.  You can then cut it out, peel off the backing and apply.  I hadn't worked with fabric in awhile, so I forgot how easy it stretches and can make the lines look crooked.  So, it took a couple of tries, but I got it.  For the tailgait panel, I ended up leaving the paper backing attached to keep it straight. 

photo fabric.jpg

Outstanding. I've done this a couple times with lint-free cloths fresh from the package, but it's always hit or miss. Good to know there's a better product. Yours looks better also. Thanks much.

20151229_114938_zpsj2hxjtck.jpg

Outstanding. I've done this a couple times with lint-free cloths fresh from the package, but it's always hit or miss. Good to know there's a better product. Yours looks better also. Thanks much.

20151229_114938_zpsj2hxjtck.jpg

That was a cool idea.  I was worried about jamming up my printer with anything else.  Looks like those came out really well.