Model Cars Magazine Forum

Current race car decal question

so I'm building the Revell Corvette C7.R.  Should I paint, decal then clear, or paint, clear and decal?  I try to make everything I build as realistic as possible.  So how are decals done on race cars these days.  I know in the past the decals were applied on the finished car, but is it done the same way these days?  Does it really matter how I build my model, will I enter it in a show?  I don't know but I try to be a perfectionist at everything I apply myself too.  Really tough way of going through life!  Lol.  Thanks for any information you can provide!

Most real race cars have the decals, which are stickers for the most part applied over the finish. You'll even see crew members during a race replacing sponsor decals while the cars are in the pits being worked on (usually during 24hr races, since at times the cars can be in the pits for extended durations). For a model I'd paint, decal then clear that way your decals are protected when you polish the clear or clean the finish if you are going to take it to a show. Might not be "accurate" but I'd prefer that to accidentally scratching part of a decal off.

Good luck.

David

I would clear over any kind of stripe or basically anything that would or could be painted on, and then apply  the sponsor decals. Gentle waxing usually doesn't affect the decals left out and if it does, it is a race car so it gets banged up. I have done mine this way for years with no ill effects.

Edited by mr68gts
Spelling

it all depends on what you are going for, realistic and how its done in most cases ( there are times when race teams will clear over the decals, but that is a different race series)   or , going for more protection of the decals.

If you are going after realistic , then what Jhedri6 said

Paint, decal then clear to protect the decals but on a real racecar the decals are last. Look at this picture of the new larger numbers for F1 cars being applied to this Ferrari this past weekend at the Spanish GP.

F1 Decal.jpg

Edited by 935k3

If you are building for maximum race car realism; paint, polish (but not show car shiny) then decal. Apply wax gently (I use Tamiya wax). Forget the clear. When it comes to ultimate realism, nothing looks worse than a race car with clear.

Lots of race cars now are totally wrapped. Very little paint visible at all. Carbon fiber bodied cars might have no paint at all.  If you ever get the chance to see a race car up close you'll be surprised how ratty they actually are. The black stripe around the bottom of the C7.R isn't really black it's raw carbon fiber. I wouldn't be surprised if the yellow is a wrap  

I always just waxed the decals back when I did NASCARs