Model Cars Magazine Forum

Honey, We Have A Problem

89AKurt

My most awarded diorama, based on Tamiya's Vehicross.  It started on a hike near Goblin Valley State Park in Utah, Muley Twist slot canyon to be exact, this rock caught my eye, it is a perfect miniature of slickrock.  Spent about half an hour to find matching rocks, nothing close.
Sawed that rock in half to stretch out the use of it.  Found the tree when combing a field of Sagebrush.
Chopped the top, fabricated the cover from Corian; based on a concept done by Isuzu.  I also scratch-built suspension parts so it would have the stance.
Fujimi mechanic modified with shorts, he is looking at the hanging pitman arm.   The woman is a Preiser figure, looking at a photo of a Canyonlands map, and saying "no wonder, it says JEEP trail."   Also added a snake.

179312243_cdb1eff4e1_o.jpg

179312244_9de3c8e803_o.jpg

179312245_064d3ccb4a_o.jpg

179312246_03dee9f326_o.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I have to say that I agree with Brian Kroon, which is to be bold enough as model builders to incorporate figures into a diorama. It is a risk and it is difficult, and even the great Michael Paul Smith does not go there. Currently I am still holding onto the belief that the process of including realistic looking figures can work if done carefully.

Great work from Kurt....

David

On February 25, 2018 at 6:23 AM, TarheelRick said:

Excellent, the only thing missing is a rattlesnake between the rocks.

First picture, if you look above the word "honey", at the edge is the snake.  I looked up what is the correct species, so it's well camouflaged.  :P

On March 6, 2018 at 11:16 AM, gasser59 said:

... Will you be coming to DSC this year?

I'm hoping to!  It's a great show, you give me awards.  :rolleyes:
Thanks to you, and everyone else before you.  Including Russell, good friend of mine.