Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 Chrysler Resurrection

Ron Hamilton

In looking through my wheel stock, I am going to use my last set of Modelhaus 300H wheel covers on the Hardtop. I noticed that there was a faint H besides the 300 script on the trunk of my Chrysler 300 H hardtop. I sold off my unbuilt example last year. The Chrysler K-H wires are going to go on a '60 New Yorker Hardtop, which I bought them for in the first place as I never cared much for the standard '60 Chrysler Wheel cover. I took a look at the Newport Convertible, and it has been cleaned up, but the chrome needs to be stripped, de-seamed, polished, and re-chromed. The same with the '62 Chrysler 300 Hardtop. The '62 300 Convertible has a stunning set of chrome that was re-done by the Little Motor Car Company. I figure that if I take both of the sets of chrome and have them re-done, I can start the paint-work on the cars.

Tommy, that 300 Sport is a gorgeous car in Metallic green, coupled with the K-H wires.

I have come to the conclusion that I am not going to be able to acquire many more restorable cars unless I have the parts to do the work. Replacement parts are getting expensive, as the supply is dwindling, and the demand is up due to The Modelhaus winding down. I still have a couple of pieces to get for a couple of still-born projects. Well, at least I can work on 90% of what I have, and the other 10%, I may get lucky and get the parts, or I will go to plan B, a mild custom.

The Modelhaus stuff is very nice. Somthing i thought about a while ago is,would the wheel/tire combo from the 55-56 Chrysler 300 be correct for this? If so it`s tempting to try shoot Moebius a mail if they consider wheel/tire packs as AMT does. If not the exact ones from the Moebius,somthing like the Kelsey Hayes stuff. I dont see why it shouldn`t be a good seller.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/78/53/8e/78538e38dc45133242ad764f56f0e38f.jpg

Edited by om617

The Modelhaus stuff is very nice. Somthing i thought about a while ago is,would the wheel/tire combo from the 55-56 Chrysler 300 be correct for this? If so it`s tempting to try shoot Moebius a mail if they consider wheel/tire packs as AMT does. If not the exact ones from the Moebius,somthing like the Kelsey Hayes stuff. I dont see why it shouldn`t be a good seller.

Don't forget guys, the "custom" wheels from the AMT '58 Impala kit are very nice replicas of the correct '62 Chrysler 300 wheel covers.

That way you can save the wires for something that you can't find correct wheel covers for.

Steve

DSCN5813

Don't forget guys, the "custom" wheels from the AMT '58 Impala kit are very nice replicas of the correct '62 Chrysler 300 wheel covers.

That way you can save the wires for something that you can't find correct wheel covers for.

Steve

DSCN5813

I was rooting through one of my parts boxes for a set of JoHan Wheel backs for the convertible, and I came across a set of the 58 Impala custom Wheel covers, and I compared them with the Modelhaus 300 Wheelcovers. With the exception of the center emblem, there is no difference, They were also used on the '66-67 Chrysler Full sized products with the disc brake option, as 15" wheels were required. I am using them on a future '66 Fury project.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/78/53/8e/78538e38dc45133242ad764f56f0e38f.jpg

While the Mobieus wheels in the 55-56 Chrysler 300's are nicely done and will work for ant Chrysler product of that era, The wires in the AMT '62 T-bird are equally nice.

2009_0718july09mamameeting0049.jpg

and since the spinner is separate, an emblem can be placed over  the mounting hole for different marques like that gorgeous Cadillac.

Edited by Ron Hamilton

I worked a little on the '62 Chrysler trio last week, and I think I made a little progress. On the '62 300H convertible, I was able to mount the Modelhaus 300H wheel covers on a set of aftermarket pin-whites and Jo-Han wheel backs I had in my tire stash.

0531171706_zpsserwyvli.jpg

I think they look very nice, and will look better once I detail them.

0531171707_zpsv53fqui9.jpg

The Revell Newport convertible is somewhat a surprise to me. It goes together differently than the Jo-Han 300H  cars, and surprisingly, some aspects of it looks better than the Jo-Han kits, but it is just not as exciting a car to me.

0531171703a_zpszwnzof6x.jpg

0531171704a_zpspptpcvlv.jpg

0531171704b_zpsn2j6rvsy.jpg

I lined everything up on it, and I cleaned up the mould lines from the bumpers and grille. I have to "re-plate" everything, but I think things will work out. This one is going to be a 361/3-speed Manual car, as that is what is in the kit.

I was also able to clean up the '62 Hardtop that I had.

0531171701a_zpspaxo7dtg.jpg

0531171701_zpstdjrrhek.jpg

For now, It is just mocked up with the kit tires and wheel covers. I have to polish out the bumpers and remove the mould lines from them as I did on the Revell kit. I have a set of 300H wheel covers for this one, and I have to round up a set of tires. When I first started on this one, I was not too enthusiastic, as this was a junker sitting in my stash. Fortunately, I found the parts I needed to make a decent car out of it, and it cleaned up nicely.

The other day, while I was doing my research, I was stoked when I came across a picture of the one-to-one I want to duplicate...

1962%20Chrysler%20300H%20Hardtop%20Black

This is one gorgeous car!!!! It turned me on to doing the Hardtop.

I have to tighten up the fit of the interior tubs, glass, and some odds and ends, scribe the body separation lines, and shoot some primer, and maybe some paint on all three.

We are well along the way!!!!

Night before last, I did the "Chrome" on the '62 Newport with a Motolow pen. I have not taken any pictures of it yet, but it does not look too bad. In my research, the Newport Convertible Vinyl Interiors came in Light Blue Metallic, Red, and Black. I am going with Black, with the Black body. That will give it just a different look than the 300's.