Model Cars Magazine Forum

Peterbilt wrecker

I started this about twenty years or more. Started with a Revell Black Magic rig and added the AMT wrecker body to it. Stretched the frame, poorly back then!!! She was a little bent, re cut the frame and pulled it straight!! Frame is stretched about an inch and a half.

Right now I'm working on getting chrome parts ready for re plating, frame is ready for paint, got a new set of rubbers for it thanks to Driptroit 71 (Brian), he sent a few Pete decals too that I didn't have for this too. I used to have a good supply of parts for rigs now I don't have anything extra so it's a little tough getting back into rigs and not having extra bits to play with!!! I'll build up a supply again though!!!

At first I didn't know if I wanted to build this all weathered out, with the chrome worn off and tires that were rotted to no use and the stains in the bed area from getting wet here and there... But I've decided on bringing her back to show and shine!!! Not sure on color choices yet but leaning towards yellow or red so far... 

I know this isn't much for a starting photo but this is where it was left off from 20 plus years ago... Body is all stripped as is the chrome.... Now starts the rebuild... I haven't played with trucks in many years so if I'm doing something wrong please let me know!!!!!! Comments and criticism welcome!!!

1.thumb.jpg.e00abdda53b9781ca4c05988a916

Edited by DrKerry

Thanks gents.... haven't posted a lot on it yet as all I've been doing is filling seams on the britework and getting the parts ready to go to chrome plating. Sending it off to George at GT KustomKrome, that and I've started work on the axle lift in the back. Using the idea of the permanent mounted Zacklift as a base for what I'm building.. 

Mount for the lift

IMG_4240.thumb.JPG.6eb4e212c164e29b28674

made new air tanks for under the truck. A bit longer than kit tanks. Used a ball point pen for the tank parts and the kit tank ends. These will be painted.... used a peice of tag wire for the mounting bands...

IMG_4271.thumb.JPG.df9a9a4e1757ab34653fe

inspiration.....

IMG_4253.thumb.JPG.544f824d7e87e1bf729bf

Thanks Brian, 

this pic shows kind of where I'm going with this build....

close to it with the lift and the boom...... not sure on the colors but......

IMG_4143.thumb.JPG.8d251d1aab97fb9fa3070

I started this build a number of time and all ways get off track.

I started this build a number of time and all ways get off track.

lol, I hear ya.... the pic is just a guide for me. Not totally following it. Just going to use ideas from it. My wrecker is going to be green and white....

great to see this , 

make a new start of a old build , renovation of a old build 

looks how you do this

some long time ago on this forum has somebody also make these wrecker [ renovation ] he has makin that one so nice

for my old wrecker i use that as guideline for the color he used [ when i give it a make over ]

see how it go,s

jacobus

great to see this , 

make a new start of a old build , renovation of a old build 

looks how you do this

some long time ago on this forum has somebody also make these wrecker [ renovation ] he has makin that one so nice

for my old wrecker i use that as guideline for the color he used [ when i give it a make over ]

see how it go,s

jacobus

thank you Jacobus, hoping mine turns out half as nice as some of these beautiful rigs I've seen on the Forum!!!!!!

All the chrome bits have been stripped and sanded filled etc...... ready to be sent in for re chrominig!! Been working on the body parts getting them sanded and ready for primer.. they took a bath in the pond already!!!! Hood assembly, bunk house are together again. Working on cab right now and have to figure out a way to re hinge the doors on the cab!!!!

I started off using the photo and ended up with this.

It is a mix of amt and revell. Amt eng block modified  for the eng bolt on parts from a revell.revell frame railes amt cross members modified too fit the revell railes. Revel sleeper. Other words 2 junk kits made into one. Wished I had used the wheel lift now.

orangepeteallmostdone2.jpg

Edited by clayton
More info

I started off using the photo and ended up with this.

It is a mix of amt and revell. Amt eng block modified  for the eng bolt on parts from a revell.revell frame railes amt cross members modified too fit the revell railes. Revel sleeper. Other words 2 junk kits made into one. Wished I had used the wheel lift now.

orangepeteallmostdone2.jpg

looks sharp Clayton!!!!!! What you did is kind of where I'm going too. I used the Revell chassis, cab, hood and bunk house. With the AMT wrecker body on the back....