Model Cars Magazine Forum

'61 Ranchero (Old 60's Custom Rescue)

Greg Pugh

Just went through the entire thread Greg and it is so impressive what you've done with this.  You deserve all the credit in the world for even having the vision of what it MIGHT / COULD be.  I doubt anyone could have done what you have with it.  Your choice of color is fantastic especially after seeing what you did to the interior and how nicely detailed it is.  Just fantastic sir.  cheers, tim

Shortening the scoop was a very positive move; I find myself liking it much more as it is now, actually adds a swooping feel to the car, a sort of "in motion while standing still"  feel that I find attractive in auto design. That interior is SO crisp and clean; GREAT work!

My 2 pennies on the grille treatment; the dual headlights look to take up too much of the opening. I'd be tempted to stick with single headlamps, which would also mimic the rear end styling parts from the 61 Ford. Some versions of the Tom Daniel '60 Impala drag wagon had a tube grille with single lights, I believe, that could be adapted nicely. Maybe someone here can tell me which? (Bad News, Quicksilver, Street Fighter, etc?) Anywho, just my thinking out loud, so to speak. Your handling of this project is exemplary! 

MMMOOORRRRE!!!!

On 12/17/2017 at 6:00 PM, bisc63 said:

My 2 pennies on the grille treatment; the dual headlights look to take up too much of the opening. I'd be tempted to stick with single headlamps, which would also mimic the rear end styling parts from the 61 Ford. Some versions of the Tom Daniel '60 Impala drag wagon had a tube grille with single lights, I believe, that could be adapted nicely. Maybe someone here can tell me which? (Bad News, Quicksilver, Street Fighter, etc?)

This is another area that I've spent a tremendous amount of time mulling over. I actually mocked up a single headlight option and the dual headlight option for two different pictures and posted a poll on a Facebook Modeling page and put it to a vote. Lol. I was originally leaning towards the single headlights but the dual headlight version won by a landslide. While I do build for myself, I also take other people's opinions to heart. I figured if the voting leaned so far in the direction of the dual headlights, it must be the way to go. I've since accepted them and like them myself. But rest assured, it's not over until it's on the car! I'm STILL thinking about it. Lol

Great work!  Strange how a glue bomb rescue sometimes can provide more motivation than a new kit.  About the nose ...  I'd be tempted to get away from the early Camaro look by giving it something like a mild Ferrari shark nose, building on the chin it already has, with the upper edge forward of the lower.

10 hours ago, espo said:

I think with the Quad Headlights it fills the Grill Opening and reduces the size of the Grill so that neither feature dominate the appearance of the front of the model.

Precisely . The two , widely-spaced lights leave too-big of an "embellished void"  ; and , that makes the compact truck's fascia look too-wide . The quad setup looks like the ideal arrangement .

1 hour ago, ChrisBcritter said:

How about a real '60s touch - use the Cibie lights from the Fireball 500? They're one-piece chrome but could be recast in clear (I could be persuaded to make a set!;))

Any thought about taillights? The custom units from the '64 Falcon kit come to mind:

5a3b1dfbceac4_64falconcustomtaillights.jpg.5f538ee21ef461f880e4c333aa2bcd37.jpg

I wish I would've know about that! Although I ended up with something very similar.

• 1 month later...