Model Cars Magazine Forum

Well, this one is a real challenge. I am going to super detail it like I have never done before on any other model. I have the Scale Motorsports CF decals, the Top Studio super-kit and the chain kit (yeah, build this chain one link at a time, about $40 too. I bought an already built chain for my mountain bike for $20). I also have the brass fork kit from Tamiya. I had the super-kit for a good few years, in fact I had it for three years before I bought the bike kit. I had bought it for another bike kit not realizing it wasn't the correct kit number to go with it. Then when I decided to finally build it I had to order the chain kit, I had thought it was part of the super-kit which it wasn't. I got it from Japan in 8 days. The fork kit was discontinued, but I found it on Amazon for $15 from some Japanese company that seems to sell just toys. That took almost 2 weeks. I also added Pro Tech braided oil line with hex AN fittings. So here are mostly engine pictures and a some frame shots.
Box art"

tam_ya10.jpg

All the stuff going into the kit:

p1030722.jpg

Engine shots:

p1030712.jpg

p1030714.jpg

p1030715.jpg

p1030716.jpg

p1030717.jpg

p1030718.jpg

The frame:

p1030719.jpg

p1030720.jpg

p1030721.jpg

Edited by Mike C

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How's the assembly process on these 1/12 bikes? I have the urge to build some Aoshima old-school Kawasaki muscle bikes.

The assembly looks challenging to me, based on the instructions I've seen online.

The Tamiya kits practically fall together , even the earlier ones, the Aoshima are a close second in assembly, sub assemblies is the way to go and testing things rather than following the instruction sheet to the letter, often the frame can be glued before fitting engines etc even in the steel framed bikes which allows filling and smoothing of seams before painting.

Have a look for Tamiyas Honda CB750 and Suzuki Katana, they're  a common and cheap kit and while early examples, they do build very well, great to begin with.

Nice paintpaintwork on the M1 btw ?

Edited by M1ks

The Tamiya kits practically fall together , even the earlier ones, the Aoshima are a close second in assembly, sub assemblies is the way to go and testing things rather than following the instruction sheet to the letter, often the frame can be glued before fitting engines etc even in the steel framed bikes which allows filling and smoothing of seams before painting.

Have a look for Tamiyas Honda CB750 and Suzuki Katana, they're  a common and cheap kit and while early examples, they do build very well, great to begin with.

Thanks Mike! I really appreciate that info!