Model Cars Magazine Forum

re-wrapped kit ?

kurth

I won an auction for a pretty hard to find monogram Chevy 4X4 van. The pictures showed the kit was sealed, with a little tear.

I got the kit, and the plastic was a little stiff, and slightly discolored. Consistent with 30+ year old shrink wrap from other sealed kits I have purchased.

I found that there was no inner bag, but the kit was complete, though there was a broken part, which I can fix.  The seller has every reason to believe it is sealed, so I do not have a problem with the seller, but maybe this kit was re-wrapped back in the 70s as a return to a retail store?  I remember seeing a kit with a "Rewrap" sticker on a kit at Toys R Us in the 80s. 

Every other old sealed monogram kit I have owned had the inner bag. Did they ever not use the inner bag?

I got one of my grail kits, but I just wonder what might have happened.  And yes I am going to build it. :D

Edited by kurth

I can't remember how the kits I received in the 70's & 80's were packaged. I have received several recent issues that were opened and taped shut by customs with a nice little card inside.

Your explanation seems very possible though.

Monogram was later than most companies in bagging parts.  I'm thinking they didn't bag them until the late Seventies.  I was going to check a '57 Chevy kit that I have, but I can't find it right now.

Monogram was later than most companies in bagging parts.  I'm thinking they didn't bag them until the late Seventies.  I was going to check a '57 Chevy kit that I have, but I can't find it right now.

This is probably the oldest monogram kit I have ever purchased.  The date on the box is 1977. The next oldest is a 1/48 F-104 from 1978 and that one had a bag.  If they started in 1978, then you may have found the answer. 

I think in 77 they were still just putting the parts trees in the box with out a bag on them.  I have had new kits I bought and did not open them till I got home to find parts missing inside before though...I think where I got it at someone opened it and took the tires and wheels to it and the shop just re-warped it and put it back on the self...everything else is there.

I wrote to Revell Customer service, but they said there was no one around from those days and it was not really documented.  I knew it was a long shot, and I appreciate them taking the time to write back.

So it could very well have come without a bag.  The loose parts are not unexpected, it happens. 

Any way, if any one else has any thoughts please feel free to comment