Model Cars Magazine Forum

Saving a Maverick

dragcarz

We all know how rare Maverick Kits are, and how pricy they can be when found. A while back, I came across this little Jem on a familiar auction site. I don't rember my winning bid, but I can be cheap and love a bargain, so it wasn't a lot I'm sure.

Once I received it, I disassembled it, and into the purple pond, love that stuff!   Overall not to bad door handles still there, nameplates intact, but the  rear wheel openings are a mess. Remnants of a hot knife it looks like. 

The reason I bid on it and probably the same reason I won it was the rear wheel openings were cut up but I had an idea to save them. 

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0517.JPG

IMG_0519.JPG

A few years ago, Round Two , I guess reissued the MPC Multi Maverick Gasser kit. This kit came with two sets of fenders on for the regular wheelbase gasser and the other for the extended wheelbase altered. Some quick measurements and the wheel openings were just right. The idea was to reverse the fenders so that the longer skirt on the fender would better match up to the rocker panel and the shorter skirt or front of the fender would better fit the quarter panel

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

See? it ain nuthin but plastic! Your repair job came out PERFECT! As a suggestion, The chassis from the AMT 67 Mustang will fit under that body with just a little shortening and trimming. And it's a MUCH better detailed chassis than the stock Maverick chassis!