Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche 935

mr68gts

With the promod on hiatus it is time to get back to this long stanging project. The 935 Porsche with SMS set and many macbined parts by me and Robert at RB Motion.

enginebottom_zpsa41beab3.jpg

Edited by mr68gts
Pbucket bs

Pete, Thanks. It should look familiar lol, it's the same one I've set aside for almost a decade? lol

blow off valve assembly. Only kit parts in this piece is the tube and the cover. The rest is all scratchbuilt. (faster than trying to clean up kit parts!)

blowoffvalveassembly_zps14f1e682.jpg

Seeing your build on this makes me which I could have afforded a mill and lathe earlier.  There is a lot on this kit that would have been easier (not to mention better looking) to make from scratch than to try an clean up and paint.  Things like half shafts, swing arm attachment points, etc. 

Pete,

The half shafts has been the hang up on this the whole time actually. Now that I have the mill, it is the first thing I want to tackle. I couldn't bare to put the plastic shafts in it.

Edited by mr68gts

So, I have been researching the half shafts for this model to accurately machine.  Dunno if anyone knows this but many of the 935s used titanium for the half shafts. I decided to play on the lathe for a bit. Dug out the titanium bar stock I have laying around. (Dont ask....lol) I use inserted tooling (indexable tooling as its called) so I have the ability to machine it IF I wanted to. I am not going to use ti however but I did want to see if I could machine it. Aluminum will work just fine for this model.....maybe....lol

Paul

I can't wait to see where this one goes. If you know anyone selling one of these detail kits, I may be willing to put up the money. They have just vanished in the last couple years. 

They were pricey to begin with and limited in numbers. Mine happens to be #319 of 505. I believe Matthew had enough parts to produce a few more but do not know if that materialized. They have been out of production for probably a decade at least.

I myself haven't seen one for sale in a long time. I know not all have been built so someone is hording them. Kind of like the 956/962 super set they did. Also limited in numbers.

I wish you luck in finding one. Im sure you will end up paying more than original retail price if one does turn up. 

With that said, the kit itself with some minor detailing can be made into a show stopper even considering it is a very old kit!

Paul

Hi Paul, glad to see you working on this one too.  I always loved this particular car and you had my attention when you broke out the Ti stock to machine it for the half shafts.  What changed your mind?   I have some too but after reading what a pain it is to machine and how the swarf can possibly spontaneously combust, I thought better of it and never tried.  I'll be like many others and will most assuredly follow along.  cheers, tim

Hi Paul, glad to see you working on this one too.  I always loved this particular car and you had my attention when you broke out the Ti stock to machine it for the half shafts.  What changed your mind?   I have some too but after reading what a pain it is to machine and how the swarf can possibly spontaneously combust, I thought better of it and never tried.  I'll be like many others and will most assuredly follow along.  cheers, tim

Tim, The Ti really isn't needed for the model even though there is a slight difference in color from Al to Ti. (which I can easily replicate with candy color in light coats if I choose.) I have a probably 6 inch piece of 1/2 round bar that has a unfinished knee joint piece on it and a couple of cut offs. (didn't pass initial inspection for first article.) Neat thing is I have had it for 10ish so years and it still looks like it came out of the 5 axis this morning! It is a pain to machine, worse to press something into! THe slivers are horrible to get out of your hands and they always breaks off trying to pull them out. Best to leave the m in a fester out so to speak. We had Sunnen spray to press planetary pins into the Ti planet case. (Lenco uses 7AL4V normalized) It sure makes pretty bright white sparks when grinding it. Bright white and highly flammable/combustible I would guess you say. We always used lots of coolant when machining the parts so I don't think the combustion was an issue since it was flooded most times. Not necessarily spontaneous combustible, still needs a spark of some sort. Magnesium was entertaining to machine.....needed lots of sand in buckets or you could catch the lathe or mill on fire! Sand is the easiest way to suffocate a magnesium fire. No liquid!

I'm not sure what grade of Ti I have but it's pretty hard I noticed. While I can machine it with a different insert in the holder, I don't think anyone really cares if the half shafts are Ti or not. Not sure if the standard carbide end mills I have will hold up to the ti or not. Everything we used was indexible tooling. I'd have to hit the books and see what insert is required and truthfully don't want to spend a whole lot of time doing that while I have at least a little momentum going lol.

Killer work, Paul!

Thank you Art! Ready to pull out that brass modified you were working on again? he he.

$75000.00 of titanium 935 halfshafts.

I would like to have one of those update kits for my 934 kit.

1362790111_img_0594.jpg

Cal, Last piece of raw Titanium I saw the price on was $900.00 (back in mid 2000 mind you) for a 7 inch diameter, maybe 4 or 5 inch tall chunk of round bar. What you are looking at are real deal 70's factory Porsche Works half shafts. That along with the price of Ti makes it the price they are. And the price of raw unmachined Titanium is highly volatile depending on current markets for military and/or medical. (mostly military drives the prices up or down depending on demand.) The 934 was a little bit different from the 935 but some of the photoetch would or should work on the 934 and I know a few people at least have done just that.

I worked aerospace for a while that also did medical stuff so we'd get in Ti here and there for knee parts or eye socket parts. I had to debur eye socket replacement pieces under a microscope....talk about a headache...lol. That's how I ended up with the Titanium. Saw some really cool stuff doing that job. Some I cannot discuss, but I know why certain things cost so much when the military says this costs x amount....

Back on track, so far what I have been posting is stuff that has been completed and sitting in bags forever now. (seriously, ask Pete! LOL) I hope I can have a current update on something for it soon but there is a lot of stuff that would be missed so I will occasionally upload more pics to get everyone up to speed as to what has been done up to this point.

Paul

They were pricey to begin with and limited in numbers. Mine happens to be #319 of 505. I believe Matthew had enough parts to produce a few more but do not know if that materialized. They have been out of production for probably a decade at least.

I myself haven't seen one for sale in a long time. I know not all have been built so someone is hording them. Kind of like the 956/962 super set they did. Also limited in numbers.

I wish you luck in finding one. Im sure you will end up paying more than original retail price if one does turn up. 

With that said, the kit itself with some minor detailing can be made into a show stopper even considering it is a very old kit!

Paul

Hording them?  Not me!  I do have 4 of them all paired with the basic Tamiya kit.  I also have three of the 956's.  Problem is i am not willing to part with them for what people are will to pay.  I had one member of this board who showed some interest but when I said it was going to take 4 figures to get me to give a set up he lost interest in a hurry.   The 956's are just a no go for almost anything.

As you know I am one of the few who has built one and I built two of them.   I use up three kits on those.  It literally took me over 6 years to build them both.  

Pete. you happen to be one of the few to finish them! lol. They take a long time if you want to do them right don't they? I should have just finished mine up instead of waiting this long on a mill but I was determined to get one first so now I am where I am. It's my own fault really because I was moving along at a pretty good pace and once I got to that point, shelved it. With the time it takes to build these I don't blame you for not wanting to build them back to back truthfully. I wasn't referring to you when I said hording them as I know you build. But I'm pretty sure people just bought them without the intention of ever building them. You would have thought over the course of the years that they would turn up on the tables but really we haven't seen that many. Of course with only a little over 500 produced I guess we wouldn't see them all but rare like my now totaled GTO (one of 370 Cosmos GTO'S produced!) I've seen more of those that the kits built lol.

I am glad to be at least working on it again though as I do look at it quite often with hope of completing it. It's a lot of money to be tied up and not finished and I hate the fact that it's caught up in limbo. Hopefully no more!

Paul

Edited by mr68gts
grammer

Tim, The Ti really isn't needed for the model even though there is a slight difference in color from Al to Ti. (which I can easily replicate with candy color in light coats if I choose.) I have a probably 6 inch piece of 1/2 round bar that has a unfinished knee joint piece on it and a couple of cut offs. (didn't pass initial inspection for first article.) Neat thing is I have had it for 10ish so years and it still looks like it came out of the 5 axis this morning! It is a pain to machine, worse to press something into! THe slivers are horrible to get out of your hands and they always breaks off trying to pull them out. Best to leave the m in a fester out so to speak. We had Sunnen spray to press planetary pins into the Ti planet case. (Lenco uses 7AL4V normalized) It sure makes pretty bright white sparks when grinding it. Bright white and highly flammable/combustible I would guess you say. We always used lots of coolant when machining the parts so I don't think the combustion was an issue since it was flooded most times. Not necessarily spontaneous combustible, still needs a spark of some sort. Magnesium was entertaining to machine.....needed lots of sand in buckets or you could catch the lathe or mill on fire! Sand is the easiest way to suffocate a magnesium fire. No liquid!

I'm not sure what grade of Ti I have but it's pretty hard I noticed. While I can machine it with a different insert in the holder, I don't think anyone really cares if the half shafts are Ti or not. Not sure if the standard carbide end mills I have will hold up to the ti or not. Everything we used was indexible tooling. I'd have to hit the books and see what insert is required and truthfully don't want to spend a whole lot of time doing that while I have at least a little momentum going lol.

Thank you Art! Ready to pull out that brass modified you were working on again? he he.

Cal, Last piece of raw Titanium I saw the price on was $900.00 (back in mid 2000 mind you) for a 7 inch diameter, maybe 4 or 5 inch tall chunk of round bar. What you are looking at are real deal 70's factory Porsche Works half shafts. That along with the price of Ti makes it the price they are. And the price of raw unmachined Titanium is highly volatile depending on current markets for military and/or medical. (mostly military drives the prices up or down depending on demand.) The 934 was a little bit different from the 935 but some of the photoetch would or should work on the 934 and I know a few people at least have done just that.

I worked aerospace for a while that also did medical stuff so we'd get in Ti here and there for knee parts or eye socket parts. I had to debur eye socket replacement pieces under a microscope....talk about a headache...lol. That's how I ended up with the Titanium. Saw some really cool stuff doing that job. Some I cannot discuss, but I know why certain things cost so much when the military says this costs x amount....

Back on track, so far what I have been posting is stuff that has been completed and sitting in bags forever now. (seriously, ask Pete! LOL) I hope I can have a current update on something for it soon but there is a lot of stuff that would be missed so I will occasionally upload more pics to get everyone up to speed as to what has been done up to this point.

Paul

Oh I am not at all surprised at the money they are asking for ti axles with the crazy prices of all old air cooled Porsches. I have a couple old Ti valves and a bunch of Ti hardware from hear and there. Its cool stuff.

Me and my brother had a 917 empty case at one time, and Porsche wanted $19000.00 for a crank. However you could still get one 30 years after it rolled out of the factory.

I am just a Porsche guy. Worked on them for 30 years and have a 964 so I am always interested in the Porsche stuff that turns up.

Edited by CAL

Oh I am not at all surprised at the money they are asking for ti axles with the crazy prices of all old air cooled Porsches. I have a couple old Ti valves and a bunch of Ti hardware from hear and there. Its cool stuff.

Me and my brother had a 917 empty case at one time, and Porsche wanted $19000.00 for a crank. However you could still get one 30 years after it rolled out of the factory.

I am just a Porsche guy. Worked on them for 30 years and have a 964 so I am always interested in the Porsche stuff that turns up.

Very cool! I am a fan of them. Especially the racing Porsches. Never worked on them and probably could never afford one lol.  Always loved the 917s the most but the 935s are right behind them because Id catch a glimpse of one running Riverside once in a while back in the day.

We used to take care of a 962 which had the distinction of the last factory 962 before fabcar took over 962 production and a camel light Porsche, before unfortunately they were lost in a warehouse fire. Yeah I always had a soft spot for 917s and perhaps considered the most dominate sportscar ever produced 956/962 which had more than a decade of race victories.

Not sure how it was mounted but it's why the shift rod ended up above the tunnel. They did other creative stuff for the 935 like raise the floor all in an attempt to getting it as low as possible. 

The inverted trans is still a common practice to this day for low race 911s