Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 International Loadstar 1600

I think no matter which frame is used it will take some adjusting due to the close proximity of the front fenders to the front spring purchase.  As far as the engine goes it will have to be a small V-8 as the distance between the grill and firewall is very short.  I have not tried to see what might fit at this point.  The one thing I do know is that the engine sits quite low in comparison to the top of the hood.

I am so excited! As you can see from my avatar, I have wanted to build one of these for years. We own a '71, and I've been thinking about building a cab. I took a bunch of pictures and measurements, but you've done a much better job than I could do. I wish I had seen this thread when you started, I could have provided any reference pictures you needed.

I hope this does get cast, I will certainly buy one. The Scout engine looks good, I hope it is the right size for the cab.

Thanks for doing this!

Edited by Kit Basher

The Loadstar that I put an engine in had a regular 345 v-8 in it that looked just like the scout engine to me. I haven't looked to see how accurate the old Ertl scout engine is, but that kit should be a good source for an engine.

I was thinking the 345 from the Scout kit too, just wasn't sure what would look right for a transmission? At least I have a use for that Scout kit that I have pirated some pieces out of.......If this beauty gets cast!

Got an e-mail from Dave Natale (AITM) late this afternoon.  He has received the IH and will do some study of it with the hope of beginning the mold tomorrow!  Will let you see what becomes of it as soon as I can.

Excellent work on the Loadstar, an impossible feat for us less skilled. Count me in on a couple of these!

That is awesome, Lane.  Thanks so much for posting!  Those first three rigs are practically in my back yard!  The C & O rig is now gone but theMarion rig is still in service. It has been rebuilt with a new body.  The first and second rigs were built by the Maxim Motor Company of Middleboro, MA.  The third rig  was done in house by the Freetown FD.  No idea abut the last one.  

I got an e-mail from AITM.  The IH is being cast and will most likely be available as a package that will include the cab and hood, dashboard, floorboard and firewall, front bumper, running boards, steering wheel and steering column.  More about this later as I will want to see the first pop to make sure it is ok.

Here's Dave's first pop of what I sent him.059.thumb.JPG.0879ad462a17f0f28127bb00f1060.thumb.JPG.3d9450e35d775990e60777a92d

Count me in ! I want one (or two) of these and if someone had some bodies to put on the back that would make it sweeter! I think a Holmes 500 wrecker bed would look perfect back there as would a dump bed or flat bed.

First two castings came in today.  They are nicely done.  AITM was able to do the windshield trim without any trouble so that the glass fits right up against the thin trim surround.  After painting the truck you will just have to swipe a black felt marker around the edge and it will be done.  The glass just pops in without any gluing.  Still to come are the bumper, running boards, and steering wheel.  I'll be working on the seat and platform for it in the next few days.