Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 International Loadstar 1600

Another remarkable replica you've created and I'm sure many modelers will be thrilled to be able to purchase one.

Now that the basic truck "bones" are complete, can you share what you have in mind for your first build of it? My apologies if you've already covered this...

Another remarkable replica you've created and I'm sure many modelers will be thrilled to be able to purchase one.

Now that the basic truck "bones" are complete, can you share what you have in mind for your first build of it? My apologies if you've already covered this...

I'm working on one using the green painted cab that is posted above.  Some sort of rack body perhaps, maybe a wrecker.  I have some photos of Holmes 600 wrecker bodies that I might just incorporate.  Was working on the engine last nite.   Ground off the automatic transmission from the IH Scout engine and substituted a 5 speed standard.  Have some detailing to do on it.  Will post some up to date photos in a bit.  For a second build it will definitely be a brush rig modeled after one that is in the next town over from me.

The first go around with this resin piece was not too bad.  It painted up well with just a cleaning with some detergent and warm water.  Getting the windshield to fit after painting was a bit troublesome and trying to keep in place with some two part epoxy was only partially successful.  I'll know better next time to be more patient on fitting the windshield so that I won't have to secure it at all.  It was intended to pop in place by itself.  064.thumb.JPG.13dc3b5ebd44524d30d5f7e016065.thumb.JPG.9dd51ecc726ef1bac600bfe18c066.thumb.JPG.375fce605e51a76cb869aa36d0067.thumb.JPG.71b157bb81c768e1cd6c366bd7

Looking good..what source did you use for chassis, wheels & tires?   Would something like the Ford Louisville be a good starting point? 

I started with the Louisville chassis but it has issues fitting with the IH cab.  The front springs on the Louisville are way too long so that the cab will not sit over the tires.  So I made the frame from Evergreen strip stock and used a set of shortened up front springs from an Ertl ALF kit.  The rear springs did come from the Louisville since they come with helpers that I have seen on many of the IH chassis photos I checked out.  The frame is a bit long for a wrecker body but that is easily cured by cutting out a section, bringing the rear axle closer to the front and then splicing the frame back together again.

The tires are resin castings that I made from a tire that I mastered a few years back.  The wheels are also resin castings that were slightly modified from a set that came with a Modelhaus '66 Chevy C60.  Right now I'm awaiting news from a 3D guy telling me that the road tread tires I asked him to do are ready at Shapeways.

Edited by Chariots of Fire
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

Got an update for the Loadstar.  I decided to go with a medium duty municipal highway dept. truck with a dump body.  Eventually it will have a snow plow frame attached.  Still plenty to do to get it to a finished state but we are making progress.

068.thumb.JPG.c69a294f19cc6abe73fbf57945069.thumb.JPG.1c1777c5aa13ed61b7cb51f362Still to go are the dump body hydraulics, mud flaps, rear tail lights, tail gate and some detailing.  Just a fun build for a change.  We will get back to a Loadstar fire apparatus later!B)

Very, very nice! That shade of green suits it well. Just curious, in those last two photos the cab looks a lot like the International pickup truck cab. Is it possible that this type of truck used the exact same cab as the pickup or is it just a case of family resemblance? 

They probably have a family resemblance but I don't think it is exactly the same cab. Got me guessing though so I should check it out!    So I did! The mid '60's IH pickups had a similar windshield and the bulge in the door is similar but the roof is not.  So I'd say that they were two different trucks and did not support the same cabs.

If anyone has more particular info I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Edited by Chariots of Fire

Truly model making to the highest level. Awesome work.

In St Petersburg Fl in the late fifties.The county waste dept had a few of these trucks with  Bucyrus Erie cranes on the back .The kind where the gantry moved up and down. They were equipped with a clam type bucket and were used to load yard trash.

Be Well

Gator

That has to be a Mass Highway rig before they put the seal on the door!  Orange with black fenders back in the day!  Didn't know you lurked around here!!:)

Hi Charlie,

You'd be amazed at some of the places I show up! (LOL) You're right about this being a new (at the time) Mass. DPW truck. This was a delivery photo taken in Medford, at the IH dealer on Mystic Ave.

That has to be a Mass Highway rig before they put the seal on the door!  Orange with black fenders back in the day!  Didn't know you lurked around here!!:)

Edited by rekcirb13

You have done a fantastic job !.....congrats!!.....I'm sure AITM will be getting alot of orders for your Loadstar.

I also would have thought that the Ford Louiville would have made a great donner chassis for this Loadstar cab....so i'm wondering, ...what about the Ford C600 ?...I wonder if the leaf springs on it would be shorter being a cab over ?....the Ford C600 is one kit that I have never built.    

TKS   Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely superb work Charlie! The town I used to live in, Savoy, MA, had two of these that were all wheel drive, and had Hydro-Turn plows and dump bodies. So, NOW, I have another project...............but THANK you, as your work is always so inspiring!  And, I didn't think you had any other paint colors than red !  Nice work!

Thanks, Tom!  I guarantee you the next one you see will be red!!B)  Town of Marion has one that was built by Maxim as a brushbreaker.  It has been refurbed with new bodywork and an up-to-date paint scheme.  That is what is on the project table after the dump truck is finished.  After that.... there will be something that is completely different but as for now it is under wraps with very tight security!<_<Marion_Breaker_127.thumb.jpg.ed16fde5e3b

Got into the details a bit.  A snow plow frame was built up of 1/8" angle stock, sheet stock and some tubing.  A hydraulic "pump" and belt were added in the engine compartment and a tow plate with pintle hook were made up for the back.  Will concentrate now on the lift mechanism for the body, the tailgate and the lever that unlocks it.  The rear view mirrors also got changed.076.thumb.JPG.4d0c4caf3448d519e89cbc89fa078.thumb.JPG.cb37be1fbda0ceb50911e54efe075.thumb.JPG.f532bf43ed031eebc9bfee6153

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since any progress was posted but I was having a brain f--t as to how to do the tailgate and the locks for it.  I wanted a small sliding door in the center of the gate since my truck will be a municipal rig that on occasion would dispense some cold patch to fix pot holes.  Going on line I found a couple of images of typical gate mechanisms.  The first two pix show the sliding door in the closed position and then in the open position.  All the gate parts are made of brass stock; brass angle, sheet, rod and strip.  A bit of a pain to get together but there it is.079.thumb.JPG.ae173a54c8dbcbb3dc74b1fde6080.thumb.JPG.9c462e82f4e2874a31d8c2a922

The next issue was how to make up the moving locks that hold the tailgate closed.  The solution involved cutting into the completed ends of the body:angry: to open up a place for the L shaped locks to sit.  Then came how to make them move together.  At first I thought of hinging them at the corners of the L but it presented an additional problem of how to make them rotate.  After trying unsuccessfully to rotate them about the corner of the L I made an adjustment and now have them rotate from the bottom.  The holes at the corners of the L did have a function in the end, however.  I was able to temporarily screw the locks in place while the rest of the work was done.  You can see the unused holes in the second photo.

081.thumb.JPG.09ba33f4131be34223f2e7b074

Here's a better look at it all.  There is a piece of 1/16" diameter tubing soldered to the end of each lock.  In turn these pieces were inserted into the next size larger tubing that runs across the width of the body.  On the larger tubing another small piece of brass stock was soldered that would act as a cam.  With both of the 1/16" pieces soldered to the larger tubing they act together and the cam makes them rotate.  The rotation moves the L shaped piece up and down which unlocks and unlocks the tailgate.  Next to the cab is the lever that operates the locks.  A connecting piece of brass rod joins the lever and cam.  The lever now moves both of the locks and allows the tailgate to open.  Parts will be painted later.083.thumb.JPG.7192cbbf62d91cc40cbcadcd3f

Here's the underside showing the brass tubing that extends from side to side connecting the two locks and 1/16" tubing.    The cam is located close to the lock in the top of the photo.  Now that all of this is in place some small pieces of plastic sheet stock will be used to fill in the open area around the locks.  A bit of sanding and repainting and the only thing visible will be the end of each lock where it holds the tailgate closed.