Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 International Loadstar 1600

For a long time I have wanted to build an International Loadstar 1600 cab.  They were used for all sorts of trucks from dump trucks to farm trucks to school buses and fire apparatus.  The thing that has held me back until now is hoping that maybe one of the model companies would come out with one!  Why they have never done one of them or a B Model Mack is beyond me.

Anyway with some photos and measurements taken of the rig in the photo below I have begun to assemble information in the form of line drawings, checking and improving them as I study the Loadstar from various angles.  Each time seems to reveal some little detail that needs adjustment.

john%20bean%20truck_zpsigkcz2jx.jpg

Looking around the kit stash I came across a 1953 Ford p/u cab that I think might be turned into a Loadstar.  Using the dimensions, photos and the line drawings I'm now studying the Ford cab to see where cuts might be made and adjustments done to make the changes.  The cab will need to be 1/4" wider overall so some cutting along the top and rear of the cab will be done salvaging the back in such a way that I can reproduce the sculptured effects in the back like the real one.  The A post will have to change and by cutting away the fenders and reversing them left for right the sculpture line across the door and cowl can be done (I think!).  Photos and descriptions will be posted as progress is made.

62c244e3-72ae-4c77-9aee-a483dde20c4c_zps

Neat subject matter and I will be watching. I remember many of these being used in so many different applications growing up. We had an IH truck dealer in town and I loved driving by there as a kid seeing the trucks! 

If anyone can do justice to building this,it is you Charles! Hopefully you can find someone to resin cast these and offer them up to the rest of us, if you want. 

I can see so many trucks- farm stake bed, dump truck, wrecker, box delivery, fire truck, and so many more!

I checked it out.  You might be right about the headlights, Russell.  Fortunately I have some good photos and some measurements of the headlight area so that I can carve them out.  I'll be using some renshape for that since it sands beautifully and is easy to carve in any direction.  Once the cab conversion is done I will be working on the grill section.  It has a nice flat shape and I have good measurements for it.  With that done the fenders and hood will come right along since they are going to have to fit the grill and cowl of the cab.

As I mentioned there is now enough done to show some of the work done on the cab.  The Revell 1953 Ford pickup kit was the donor for the cab.  The front fenders were cut loose and reversed to form the front of the doors.  The top and rear of the cab have been modified and the whole thing has been widened out 1/4".  There is still some cleanup to do.  The interior of the cab needs some cleanup as well to smooth out the seams.  Some two part resin will be poured around the interior of the top and the inside of the doors to make good smooth surfaces.  The goal is to make the cab with as few hard surfaces as possible so as to make casting easier.

100_9252_zpskrczdrry.jpg

100_9254_zpstfxforn5.jpg

100_9250_zps1ontgegs.jpg

Edited by Chariots of Fire

envious of your skills and ability to capture the correct look, regardless of subject. I am always impressed with how you are able to take one subject and create an entirely different one while making it seem so easy!

I will be watching this, really love these old cornbinders!