Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 International Loadstar 1600


Recommended Posts

Got the cab in primer just to pick out the flaws that will need fixing.  The grill is made up of plastic strip stock and I just got through mixing up some mold rubber for it.  The plastic is pretty flimsy with all of the little pieces so making it with two part resin will make it more uniform and hopefully a bit stronger. 

The sides of the grill were a bit of a challenge with the horizontal flutes that wrap around.  I tried milling them after I had the side pieces mounted to the plastic grill but it was hard to keep them uniform.  So I opted for an old tried and true method of scribing a piece of sheet stock with the correct spacing for the flutes.  The 0.030" thick stock was then wrapped around a wood buck and clamped in place.  Dropping the whole thing in a pot of almost boiling water for a couple of minutes softened the plastic enough so that it would take the form of the buck without stress.  Immediately cooling it set the plastic to the curved line of the sides of the grill.  Not quite sure I have the right angle yet but it will get worked out.  One fender has been roughed out using some porch railing stock.  So far it is beginning to look ok. 

I'll post some pics of all of this in a bit.  I want to get the mold to set up for the grill first and make a pour to see how it comes out.

 

Edited by Chariots of Fire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well here we are.  I primed the cab to check for flaws and found a few.  It needed some corrections to the rescribed door lines and around the top.  Still some tinkering left.

In the photo is a first attempt at a fender made of porch railing stock.  The two reddish pieces are Renshape, a great material for carving and shaping.  It is also quite strong even when carved to a thin surface.  Plenty of work to do to form the headlight areas and grind away the underside of each fender.  In front is the grill that I initially made from plastic strip stock.  It is glued to a piece of sheet stock where it was used a master for making the two part resin grill that is standing between the fenders.  That way I can make additional ones if  necessary.  The pieces between the grill and fenders is sheet stock that was first scribed with those horizontal lines found on the real truck.  Then they were clamped to a wood buck and dropped into some boiling water for a few minutes.  That softened the plastic enough that it would curve without stress.  The exact amount of curvature is still not known but with a few critical measurements we can lay it out so that the hood, fenders and grill all come together against the cab.

011_zpsfvmhxy6i.jpg

Now to get those Renshape fenders to look a little like the mock up at the left!!B)B)

Edited by Chariots of Fire
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Photos of the carved Renshape fenders.  Now the job is to get the right width from side to side and to get the proper slant on the radiator grill.  It also has to sit at the correct height in order to match the height of the cab where the hood will go.

013_zpsdws0twjs.jpgPP

014_zpszyhtldw5.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Got the two headlight areas carved out and headlight surrounds inserted.  They both need a bit of final cleanup.  Did some trimming of the grill area and find that the sides aren't quite right.  So two new ones will be done and then will get reattached to the grill.  Anyway here is what has been done so far.

016_zpsfaeus1w2.jpg

015_zpsbxpaahb6.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say "This is going to be good", but it already is pretty good. Loadstars are badly needed in scale!

Yeah, what he said! Nice work, be a shame if this wasn't offered up either in resin or styrene.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A little something more on the cab.  The rear window needed a rubber gasket to surround the glass.  So some 0.020 sheet stock was used to create one first by making a solid piece and gluing it in place and then by cutting out the interior leaving just enough of a lip inside the opening of the window for the glass to sit against.  A small amount of white glue will hold it in place without the danger of smearing the clear plastic sheet.

018_zpstqldt1fx.jpg

021_zpsgwmkx3bo.jpg

022_zpsovz55xmn.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This has to have been one of the more time consuming and somewhat frustrating parts of the build so far.  The hood is a complex piece with curves everywhere!  Not a straight piece to be had except for the sculpture piece in the center.  A lot of time sanding, testing, sanding testing just to get it this far.  Still some tweaking to go along with some detail fitting along the cowl where the hood meets it.  But we are getting there slow but sure.

026_zpsid2mnmql.jpg

025_zpslrtcswj4.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...