Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 International Loadstar 1600

I'm still working on how to perfect the top of the cab.  It has been a project to fill, sand, fill some more and work at the shape.  I think it is almost there.  Any advice you can give to improve it would be appreciated.

045_zpsafk1knbn.jpg

044_zpsbmjl8466.jpg

046_zpssvz2akob.jpg

I have the cab sitting on a 4x4 chassis just to see how it looks.  The front springs are too long and the tires are only temporary but the height above the ground is as it should be, or at least that is how one truck sits that I was able to measure.  Tires on it were 7:50 x 20's and the top of the fenders was 53" above the ground.  Both are just about right in scale.

Been making some minor adjustments to the top of the cab and I think now it is there!  Study of the photos of the real thing from various points of view gave me a better feel for what it should look like.  The hood also has been shortened a bit to draw it back.  The separation line between the center piece of the hood and the butterfly sections has been cut in.

047_zpsv3qjyxvb.jpg

A third try at a buck for vacu-forming the windshield finally gave satisfactory results.  It was carved from Renshape and coated with Aero-Glos dope to really smooth it out.  The windshield fits nicely behind the brass molding without any glue.

048_zpsnz2mkryx.jpg

And finally some interior door panels have been made and the dashboard basics are done.  The dash will fit inside up against the bottom of the brass molding.  Next are some interior fender pieces.

049_zpsujrzwokp.jpg

Edited by Chariots of Fire
photo location

Still working on the windshield.  I raised the top portion 1/16" and it looks a bit taller which I think is more correct.  Going to let it sit for a while and see if I feel the same about it in a couple of days.  Still some cleanup to do.  It's amazing what shows up when you take photos!

053-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

050-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

Edited by Chariots of Fire

That looks closer.  Comparing with your reference photo in the first post, it appears that the windshield curves up as it wraps around, following the crown of the roof, so the top rubber lies above the upper door line.  It could stand to be raised a little more?  You've done an outstanding job here.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ford snowplow kit has the right spring arrangement for a single rear axle.  The frame cross members would have to be changed up.  But the front springs are a bit too long as the front spring attachment is right behind the fenders.  So some substitution might be in order.   Some exploring on line for IH chassis photos would be best to see what might be matched up the best.

Wow! looks great, There is one of these trucks for sale a few miles away with a full tandem axle semi frame under it and a fifth wheel carrier. Do you plan on going with a body (wrecker, service body, flatbed, etc.) or just a fifth wheel? Again, awesome work! 

Edited by JUNK-MAN

The Ford snowplow kit has the right spring arrangement for a single rear axle.  The frame cross members would have to be changed up.  But the front springs are a bit too long as the front spring attachment is right behind the fenders.  So some substitution might be in order.   Some exploring on line for IH chassis photos would be best to see what might be matched up the best.

Thanks Charles. I wonder if the recently reissued Louisville Hauler would work? That has a longer frame but is a single axle and I don't think the engine is close to being correct but might be a better start, no?