Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 Satellite - minor update

br67

Hi, after being a voyeur on this site for too long it's time to post my first build - a Monogram 71 Satellite

IMG_4868.thumb.JPG.9547a9de76eb3baeb3447The aim is builder something closer to base model - so here are some of the changes

- Magnum 500 wheels

- Narrow whitewall tires

- 318 small block and 3 speed column shift manual trans

- no console

- half or full vinyl roof

- hood change

Here are a couple of pics of my inspiration

IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4756.PNG

Edited by br67

Can't wait to see this one. That kit is the only 1/24 source for that particular hood shown on the box(there's a resin one in 1/25 out there); the reissues of this car in GTX trim had the scoop hood with I don't like as much aesthetically.

Love the idea of this car with the vinyl roof. Looking forward to the work!

Edited by Merkur XR4Ti

Harts Parts Resin is pretty good stuff, I just got the '71 Dodge Challenger R/T conversion kit, as well as the '69 Dodge Coronet R/T parts and the '70 Coronet R/T conversion and it all pretty good looking resin! -I too have 2 of the '71 GTX's that I plan to make ONE of them a '71 Satellite, as I have the grille to the Satellite! I need that Resin hood myself.... SO I'll be looking into the Hart's Resin hood, or make something from what I have, BUT something other then what comes with the GTX kit! As I have a '71 GTX and I'd like the hoods to be different from one car to the other!!!

Brandon,

I like the Idea of the Model you are going to do. I have both the Monogram '71 Plymouth Satellite, which is actually a Road Runner without the graphics, and a MPC '71 Road Runner. Missing Link does the full Wheel Covers in the Photo of the real Car. I have to get them and the Hart's Parts resin hood to do this. Thanks for the posting!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Played around with new hood(the white one)today - its a resin example from Vaughan at Hart Parts Resin. Very good fit and  finish. I'm definitely more partial to the look of the new one.

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4901.JPG

IMG_4902.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

Latest update - I've used the engine out of the Revell Challenger T/a and modified the intake to better represent a stock 2bbl setup. Was unsure about how it would turn, but it's amazing what sandpaper, a file and putty can do.

IMG_4904.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

IMG_4907.JPG

Looking real good......just which monogram would have done a better job on all the 1/24 mopar inner fenders ,by making them separate without the

Battery and washer bottle ! good choice on putting the rally wheels on the Superbird  they make the car look better.

Doug I agree 100%. Im going to add some detail by using the wiper motor and mounting from the GTX kit, as well as adding a horn to the rh inner area. Im also making the car a manual brake version, so am discarding the kits booster/master cylinder assembly and using something from the parts box

David, I also thought there was no 3 on the tree for 71, but then I checked out the Hamtrack site - as per Johns link above - and they list them as being standard

Nice build Brandon, it's going to be

really cool!!!  

You know what, I guess your never too

old to learn something!!

I never seen one with 3 on the tree, so I

just must have assumed that they didn't.

Now my brain is swimming with the

image of driving one that way!!  LOL!!!

Thanks for that info reference John.:rolleyes:

David S.