Model Cars Magazine Forum

Garage diorama accessories questions

426 pack

I am planing to build a 1/24 scale garage diorama and would like to know what tools and other accessories would be the best bang for my buck? I know there is hobby gear and fujimi that makes diorama accessories but is there anyone else that makes diorama accessories and what is the best  quality? Another thing is there anywhere that sells it in Canada? Any help would be great thanks  

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think you could go wrong with the Fujimi Garage and Tools sets. Please keep in mind that they sell a garage on it's own and a separate tool set. The garage is on the small side, but it's modular, so you can combine it with one or more other garage kits in order to make a bigger garage. 

The tools set is comprehensive. It comes with: a car lift, many wrenches and screwdrivers, a few tool boxes, battery charger, a desk and chair, a workbench, a roll away jack, jack stands, crates, welding tools, and may other things. The downside is that you have to build and paint everything, but the upside is: you really get a ton of stuff for the price. I also personally think it's all very well detailed and proportioned, much less toylike than some of the preassembled things that are available. If you look online, you can find these sets pretty reasonably priced. There are a ton of pictures available online of these sets, showing you what they came with. Also, Fujimi has come out with newer smaller sets that come with more things (more tool boxes, a parts washer, etc.). The newer sets are perhaps a lesser value, but they're still excellent quality and come with some interesting things. 

My only real gripe with these sets is that they're molded in a medium gray plastic, I would much prefer that they were molded in white. 

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

Edited by CapSat 6

You will have to decide first what era your garage is going to represent then gather data on what accessories would be correct for that time frame.If you are using a '60's era muscle car for the main featured vehicle the interior could be almost any era from the year it was purchased till now.Good luck.

You will have to decide first what era your garage is going to represent then gather data on what accessories would be correct for that time frame.If you are using a '60's era muscle car for the main featured vehicle the interior could be almost any era from the year it was purchased till now.Good luck.

Tom, without coming off mean , too many REFUSE to do thier homework concerning what is and is NOT correct in a diorama . The same goes for restored gasoline pumps . I go to shows and I CRINGE when a Texaco pump is painted GREEN!!!!!!

Thanks for your comment Ellen.Maybe it's just my personal interest in historical accuracy or that I really enjoy doing the research but the research is nearly as much fun as the building for me.IMHO...if you're going to build it,do a little research and do it right!

• 2 weeks later...

I built a garage as a design concept for product, using the Fujimi kit as a base. As someone said, it is short, so I lengthened the floor and made my own walls.The floor extension was masked by making it concrete expansion joint.  The core of the walls was sheet plastic, the inner, wood and the outer was made from Evergreen "siding". Some Fugimi tools were used, but I looked in many of my parts boxes and found stuff I could use. SEL came in handy, big time, as did some MRC equipment from older accessory parts kits I had. I also appropriated some diecast resin accessories that I found in our storeroom . Here's what I cobbled together...

Original_Garage_.thumb.jpg.27a4b12ef1202

They liked it so much that they wanted me to tear it apart and slip it into a shadow box....gave me the weekend to do it! The original top had a slit, which made it look like a tissue dispenser. I opened up the top and laid in some acrylic sheet...and no, I didn't tear it up! I made another!

The_2nd_Garage.thumb.jpg.c31b409551575fa

....and so it went to production as this....you can see that the name brands were made generic!

Garage_Dio_Product.thumb.jpg.15a263fb7bc

• 1 month later...

I built a garage as a design concept for product, using the Fujimi kit as a base. As someone said, it is short, so I lengthened the floor and made my own walls.The floor extension was masked by making it concrete expansion joint.  The core of the walls was sheet plastic, the inner, wood and the outer was made from Evergreen "siding". Some Fugimi tools were used, but I looked in many of my parts boxes and found stuff I could use. SEL came in handy, big time, as did some MRC equipment from older accessory parts kits I had. I also appropriated some diecast resin accessories that I found in our storeroom . Here's what I cobbled together...

Original_Garage_.thumb.jpg.27a4b12ef1202

They liked it so much that they wanted me to tear it apart and slip it into a shadow box....gave me the weekend to do it! The original top had a slit, which made it look like a tissue dispenser. I opened up the top and laid in some acrylic sheet...and no, I didn't tear it up! I made another!

The_2nd_Garage.thumb.jpg.c31b409551575fa

....and so it went to production as this....you can see that the name brands were made generic!

Garage_Dio_Product.thumb.jpg.15a263fb7bc

The shadow boxes look great.I built a drag racing shop from a shadow box.I made it with a frame,and a piece of clear plastic covering the front.Then I hung it on the wall in my den.Yours look great.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg