Model Cars Magazine Forum

foil casting?

I need to cast an emblem...I don't think aluminum foil will capture the details but if you use aluminum foil how do you keep it from distorting when you remove it?  ive tried silly putty-even putting it in fridge first and its just not working...any help appreciated

Use a larger piece of foil, perhaps a 1" square. The excess will help prevent distortion.

Center the foil over the emblem, shiny side up. Burnish, remove, and back-fill with epoxy. After the epoxy cures, trim/sand/etc.

DO NOT attempt to remove the foil from the emblem...paint over it if necessary.

I've done it but have little bit more complex method.  First Bare Metal foil the emblem.  Then put a large glob of white glue on top and let it harden completely.  I then use some epoxy body filler to add a "handle" over the white glue, but not enough to cover the edge of the white glue(this is important later).  Once this is hard I pull it off the model.  The BMF should come off intact.  I then fill the back side of the BMF with super glue and let that harden.  Once hard I sand the back flat with a sanding stick.  Then you put the whole thing in water.  This will dissolve the white glue layer and separate the emblem from the body filler and just like that you have your emblem.  Not really a project for the impatient but it works well.

I've done it but have little bit more complex method.  First Bare Metal foil the emblem.  Then put a large glob of white glue on top and let it harden completely.  I then use some epoxy body filler to add a "handle" over the white glue, but not enough to cover the edge of the white glue(this is important later).  Once this is hard I pull it off the model.  The BMF should come off intact.  I then fill the back side of the BMF with super glue and let that harden.  Once hard I sand the back flat with a sanding stick.  Then you put the whole thing in water.  This will dissolve the white glue layer and separate the emblem from the body filler and just like that you have your emblem.  Not really a project for the impatient but it works well.

That is basically how I do it, except I use plain aluminum foil.