Model Cars Magazine Forum

Corvette MakoShark C2

RestoModGuy

Had this snaptite in my stash for years, decided to do a one-day build. I have to admit this AMT kit actually is done very well, no flash of any kind, everything fit perfectly and amazed of the detail included the decal set is one of the best I've used, as for gauges. I didn't like the kits ride height, sat too high, so I did modify the one-piece chassis/suspension to accomadate the Pegasus wheels instead of the stock wheels, added disc-brakes, just because I'm not a box stock builder. The "paint" actually is the molded and painted out-of-the-box, it polished up very nice. I did not paint this, 5-hour build but decided to paint and detail the interior and chrome trim with my Molotow pen. Neat little quickie build to break the big detail builds burnout.

Photo_2017-05-22_07-45-30.thumb.jpg.65a5

Photo_2017-05-22_07-48-04.thumb.jpg.c45e

Photo_2017-05-22_07-47-58.thumb.jpg.ecb9

Photo_2017-05-22_07-45-39.thumb.jpg.a838

Edited by RestoModGuy

May I ask, did you use any kind of dark wash in the panel lines? Looks like you might have but I can't tell.

Reason I ask is, the panel lines on this kit are why I haven't built mine already. I hate them. I usually rescribe them all deeper, but the ones on this body are so WIDE that that won't work. Was thinking of putting a black wash in them--might be able to get away with that on this one because the body color is so dark already.

Yours looks pretty good in the pics. So did you do anything special with the lines?

May I ask, did you use any kind of dark wash in the panel lines? Looks like you might have but I can't tell.

Reason I ask is, the panel lines on this kit are why I haven't built mine already. I hate them. I usually rescribe them all deeper, but the ones on this body are so WIDE that that won't work. Was thinking of putting a black wash in them--might be able to get away with that on this one because the body color is so dark already.

Yours looks pretty good in the pics. So did you do anything special with the lines?

Richard, yes, I did a tinted acrylic wash in the panel lines, grill and sidepipes. I don't think you need to scribe them, they are deep enough if you are not painting the body and plan on polishing the plastic as I did. I still can't believe how nice the plastic polished out, it looks a snice as some of my best polished paint jobs that take me hours. 

Have fun with it, I did and happy with the result for a quickie no hassle build.

Richard, yes, I did a tinted acrylic wash in the panel lines, grill and sidepipes. I don't think you need to scribe them, they are deep enough if you are not painting the body and plan on polishing the plastic as I did. I still can't believe how nice the plastic polished out, it looks a snice as some of my best polished paint jobs that take me hours. 

Have fun with it, I did and happy with the result for a quickie no hassle build.

Thanks for the advice. You're making me want to build the thing!