Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Trans-Am Mustang - Under Glass

Phildaupho

That '67 Terlingua Mustang from the NNL is really nice (even if he DID miss the sides of the rear window). For those building models of that car, I can offer some advice other than the paint on the underside of the belly of the car.

- He got it right painting the top of the front shocks where they show in the ends of the export braces. Shelby's guys installed Koni shocks on those cars. Most all of teh Trans Am race cars of teh era used them. The orange is nice, but the proper color for Konis is closer to Chevy engine red.

- All of those Trans Am Mustangs that Shelby built (25 to 27 depending on info source) were all painted at the Ford San Jose factory the same Wimbledon white that all of the Shelby cars were delivered in. The Shelby Team race cars (4 of them) were over-painted with, as Shelby called it,  "that godawful yellow" in the Shelby shop. They were race cars, not show cars like many race cars get "restored". So color matching all through the car was not considered important. Any interior areas like the floor, inside of the trunk, underside of the hood, top of the firewall above the export braces, door jams, etc. should be painted Wimbledon white. Some of those areas having some yellow overspray on the edges would be appropriate.

- The top of the rear package shelf inside the rear window should be flat black.

Somehow I missed all the replies since early September, I guess because I became focused on completing two other projects. I just got back to the Mustang in the last couple of days in an effort to get it finished enough for a local model show this weekend I am putting on. Yesterday I applied the Fred Cady roof and trunk decals so was very surprised to see the photos of the Mustang at NNL West. I would have loved to see that Trans Am class as it looks like grids you see at Vintage car races. On my list of to do model projects is to build a grid of vintage Trans Am cars and have a stack of kits and parts to do so however this Mustang will only be the third one I have done so far. The Chaparral Camaro will be the next one and has already been started.

I am back at work on the Mustang and hope to have it completed for a local model show this weekend. Apparently the paint which Shelby referred to as “gawd awful yella” was actually a Corvette color. I mixed my shade by tinting Testor’s gloss white enamel with light yellow. The hood, fender tops etc. and interior are Tamiya satin black. I have started applying Fred Cady decals and realize how fortunate I am to have had the foresight to purchase a number of Fred Cady decal sets before he retired. I would like to thank Fred Cady for the great work he did designing and printing decals for historic race car model builders.

I am back at work on the Mustang and hope to have it completed for a local model show this weekend. Apparently the paint which Shelby referred to as “gawd awful yella” was actually a Corvette color. I mixed my shade by tinting Testor’s gloss white enamel with light yellow. The hood, fender tops etc. and interior are Tamiya satin black. I have started applying Fred Cady decals and realize how fortunate I am to have had the foresight to purchase a number of Fred Cady decal sets before he retired. I would like to thank Fred Cady for the great work he did designing and printing decals for historic race car model builders.

Hi,

WOW, fantastic paint job!

Great looking project Phil! Looking forward to seeing it at the Island Classic this coming Saturday. Will you be entering the three racers into the new collections category?

Cheers Misha

Thanks Misha. This one will be in the Racing Car class this year but I do have an entry for the Collections Category - 3x 5-W Deuce Coupes. I think this is a really interesting category so hope it is popular enough to carry it forward to future events. I certainly have many ideas for future entries.

See ya Saturday 

• 2 weeks later...