Model Cars Magazine Forum

Aloha Bobby and Rose 68 Camaro

dragmodels44

Hey guys, does anyone remember the movie " Aloha Bobby and Rose " from, I believe 1975. Everyone remembers John Milner from American Graffiti, but he did this movie which didn't get a lot of attention, especially during a time when the blockbuster movies were all the catastrophe movies. Earthquake, the Towering Inferno, etc... 

he plays a mechanic who has this hot rod camaro and goes out every night for a good time. It was shot in CA and there's some cool vintage big name drag races at the drag strip where he races the camaro. I actually got the chance to talk to him when I was researching the car when I originally built in in 2000. The car was basically a full blown SCCA race car that they made drivable for the movie. It had a full rollcage that he had to climb around getting in and out, and the clutch was very touchy and he complained about it. Anyway, I regretted selling it and wanted to do it again for my movie/tv car collection. I didn't replicate the flares as I did on the first one because I hand formed them and just ommited them this time, so it's not 100% correct, but still captures the feel of it. 

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

The movie car belonged to a friend of mine.  He built a blown '56 that was absolutely gorgeous after he sold the Camaro.  We had fun times cruising in the car together.  Sadly he passed away about 15 yrs ago.  It's probably been over 25 yrs since I saw the movie last.  

I remember the movie well, mostly for the Camaro . I remember when in the movie they had to paint it flat black after the "robbery".  The dish slotted mags you used are more of the street look of the time. Which model is your build based upon ??  

• 3 weeks later...

I've never seen the movie, but I like your car so much ,it made me find something similar to build. I like MONOGRAM , so I picked up a 69 to build . hope it turns out as boss as yours.

Screenshot_20170613-172452.png

In case you weren't aware, the body proportions in that kit are off. A much better 69 Camaro kit would any of the recent ones by Revell. The one you have was done before the merger of Revell and Monogram.

I know.I love MONOGRAM and there cartoony stuff. My favorite. I been trying to get this one new for a long time. I'm a monogram guy. That's because I usually build Kustom and they aren't ever the right proportions!!!!!!

Edited by Lizz62

I'm having a hard time trying to track down a kit with those kind of rims. 

I was told today they are mag rims, so I'm looking into that search.

If you're thinking of the Dish Slotted wheels on the movie car you could try Pegasus Wheels or find  one of the AMT Avanti reissued kits. 

• 2 weeks later...

Found a set of mag rims, replica hood, and 68 Camaro kit bought from Ebay.  Now, I'm trying to research what color red the car is? How to  make the flares? How to bring the tail lights in like a 67? I'm almost set to go on this kit.     

Any tips, tricks, and info anyone wants to share. Don't be afraid to say so, cause this is going to be a harder build  then MAG Dragster.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys, wanted to help with a few questions, the original wheels I used were ARII wheels. They came in a set for fronts and rears plus tires. They could be readily found in hobby shops, but no more. I see them on eBay for about 50-60 bucks. They used to cost 25 in the store. Still pricey but now they're ridiculous.  The next best choice I found are the monogram slotted mags like in the Tom Daniel Vette, and some of his other kits. Good luck!

• 4 months later...

I'll get around to building this car, in a few months. I'm working on few kits before tackling this build.   I was searching for many more photo's of this car in shows, fan pages, and putting everything on one page. Since you guys are helping me out on some of the parts, it seem only fair to help out where I can.  On this page any builder can find pictures of this car, inside and out.  Wanted to help every builder out there working on this car. The page is  https://www.facebook.com/ABNR1975

Edited by Blackkat13